Crimson staff writer

Omar Abdel Haq

Crimson staff writer Omar Abdel Haq can be reached at omar.abdelhaq@thecrimson.com.

Latest Content

Harvard and the Fight for Foreign Collaboration Graphic
Politics

Harvard and the Fight for Foreign Collaboration

Debate over the regulation of foreign money in academia, once an afterthought, has become a microcosm of the U.S.’s attempts to remain the world’s top innovator, exposing a tension between the government’s efforts to remain competitive and academia’s goals to promote innovation and the free flow of ideas.

Tang Harvard Yard
Student Life

Two Harvard Students Went Viral for Creating a Website to Help Ukrainian Refugees. But Some Experts Have Concerns.

Soon after the debut of a platform launched by two Harvard students seeking to help Ukrainian refugees, experts raised concerns over a lack of security measures.

Ukraine Rally 4
Front Feature

One Month Into Invasion, Harvard Affiliates Rally for Ukraine, Affected Scholars

One month after Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine, more than one hundred demonstrators rallied in Harvard Yard on Saturday in support of Harvard students and scholars impacted by the war.

Ukraine Flag
Politics

‘Distressful’ and ‘Devastating’: Ukrainian Students Speak Out on Invasion

Between “numbness,” “sadness,” and grief, Ukrainian students at Harvard face difficulties navigating academic and personal life amid the invasion of Ukraine.

Ukraine Rally: Demonstrators March Through the Yard
University

As Rockets Fly in Kyiv, Hundreds Rally for Ukraine in Harvard Yard

Waving Ukrainian flags and carrying anti-war posters, several hundred demonstrators rallied to support Ukraine in Harvard Yard on Saturday, just days after Russia invaded the country in the region’s largest military escalation in years.

Harvard International Office
College

Harvard Students Laud Return of Study Abroad

After nearly two years defined by travel restrictions, case surges, and canceled plans, Harvard’s study abroad programs have returned.

Bridget Terry Long
Academics

HGSE Launches Online Education Leadership Master’s Program Targeting Mid-Career Professionals

The Harvard Graduate School of Education is launching a new fully-online master’s program in Education Leadership, part of its efforts to increase access for mid-career professionals, HGSE Dean Bridget Terry Long said in an interview Wednesday.

Harvard Graduate School of Education
Cambridge Schools

HGSE Professors Argue High Stakes Testing Detrimental to Students in Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System has recently come under scrutiny following state legislators’ proposal to eliminate the test from being a graduation requirement for high school students.

HGSE Ed Now event
Events

Mental Health Experts Call For Systematic Change to Improve Student Wellness at HGSE Webinar

A panel of mental health professionals called on colleges and universities to enact systemic changes aimed at improving student well-being at a Harvard Graduate School of Education webinar Wednesday.

HGSE Ed Now event

HGSE Ed Now event

Experts in student mental health joined a Harvard Graduate School of Education panel Wednesday, part of the school’s “Education Now” series focusing on changes to the education system brought about by Covid-19.

Union on Strike
Labor

Undergrads Walk Out of Class in Support of Grad Student Strike

At approximately 11:35 a.m. on Thursday, undergraduates swiftly walked out of their classrooms into Harvard Yard and adjacent buildings to join the Harvard Graduate Students Union-United Automobile Workers on the second day of their strike.

Graduate School of Education
HGSE

HGSE Student Council Members Say Amplifying Underrepresented Voices Among Top Priorities

In interviews, four members of HGSE’s Student Council, who sit on the Student Advocacy and Issues Committee and the Programming and Events Committee, shared their goals for the 2021-22 academic year.

Ed Now 9/22
Higher Education

Education Experts Discuss Strategies to Improve Individualized Learning

Education experts at the Harvard Graduate School of Education discussed the importance of rebuilding the education system to improve socioemotional learning and accommodate students of different socioeconomic backgrounds in a Wednesday webinar.

Ed Now 9/22

Ed Now 9/22

HGSE Schools Event

HGSE Schools Event

The latest iteration of HGSE’s recurring webinar series “Education Now” on Wednesday focused on critical steps to successful school reopenings during the pandemic.