From Cannes: ‘Emilia Perez’ is a Daring and Surprising Musical

Dir. Jacques Audiard — 3 Stars

{shortcode-97a5f1c331ca2059d057166f0da202b3ef0be6e9}

Jacques Audiard’s “Emilia Pérez” hits the screen with a riotous blend of genres and emotions, leaving an indelible mark on its audience. This latest cinematic venture, which premiered at Cannes to a flurry of applause, transcends conventional storytelling to deliver an opera-infused, musical thriller wrapped in a tale of redemption and identity. The film’s audacious nature ensures that it will be a talking point long after the festival buzz subsides.

Set against the neon-lit backdrop of Mexico City, “Emilia Pérez” is as vibrant as its setting. The story revolves around Rita (Zoe Saldaña), a lawyer who defends disagreeable characters like drug lords and murderers. Her world shifts dramatically when she meets the cartel leader, Manitas Del Monte (Karla Sofía Gascón), who requests her help with a deeply personal matter: Finding a discreet doctor for gender confirmation surgery. What begins as a simple request evolves into a sprawling narrative of transformation, redemption, and personal discovery.

The plot, while complex, serves as a canvas for exploring deeper themes. As Rita helps Manitas transition into Emilia Pérez, she becomes enmeshed in the complexities of Emilia’s new life. Emilia’s transformation is not just physical but emotional, as she seeks redemption and reconnects with her estranged family. This journey is punctuated by inventive musical numbers, blending operatic energy with a modern, gritty edge. The film’s musical sequences are integral to its narrative but they sometimes struggle with lyrical finesse due to language barriers and translation issues.

The performances in “Emilia Pérez” are nothing short of revelatory. Zoe Saldaña, known for her roles in action-packed blockbusters, showcases her dancing roots with fierce precision and emotional depth. Her portrayal of Rita is both powerful and nuanced, particularly in the energetic number “The Bad,” where she exercises her frustrations through dynamic choreography.

Selena Gomez’s role as Jessi, Emilia’s wife, marks a dark and gritty departure from her Disney Channel persona. Gomez brings a fresh intensity to the character, balancing vulnerability with strength. However, Karla Sofía Gascón’s portrayal of Emilia Pérez truly steals the show. As a trans actress, Gascón infuses the character with profound pathos and authenticity. Her performance captures Emilia’s radiant newfound happiness and deep-seated regrets with remarkable sensitivity. Gascón’s portrayal offers a compelling exploration of identity and transformation, making Emilia’s journey both poignant and inspiring.

The film’s thematic core centers on identity, forgiveness, and the search for meaning. Emilia’s quest to use her past connections to help families find closure for their missing loved ones adds a layer of social commentary to the narrative. The film’s depiction of Mexico’s drug war and its profound impact on its people provides a gritty, unflinching look at a complex issue.

Despite its ambitious scope, “Emilia Pérez” doesn’t exist without its flaws. The film’s inconsistent tones and occasional over-the-top moments may confuse some viewers. The musical numbers, while innovative, sometimes feel disjointed from the narrative, and the lyrics can be hit-or-miss. Yet, these elements also contribute to the film’s unique charm, embodying a maximalist approach that both dazzles and disorients.

In essence, “Emilia Pérez” is a bold and provocative work that defies easy classification. The film blends genres, styles, and emotions into a singular cinematic experience. Audiard’s direction, combined with the powerful performances of Saldaña, Gomez, and Gascón, creates a film that is both visually stunning and thematically rich. While it may not resonate with everyone, its fearless approach to storytelling ensures that it will be remembered and discussed in years to come.

As the film continues to make waves beyond the festival circuit, it stands as a testament to the power of cinematic experimentation. “Emilia Pérez” invites viewers to embrace its chaotic, glitter-soaked world and find meaning amidst its unfiltered magic.

—Staff writer J.J. Moore can be reached at jj.moore@thecrimson.com.