From Sound on Sound: An Ode to Festival Food

An underrated element of the music festival experience is the food. During a packed day of seeing their favorite artists perform, fans don’t want to waste a second on a boring meal — especially at marked up festival prices. Luckily, Sound on Sound did not disappoint, with dozens of food stands and trucks from restaurants near and far, including local favorites like Popup Bagels and Donut Crazy.

Below is every meal I had while attending Sound on Sound, ranked.

4) Pizza Nova: Pepperoni Slice

{shortcode-a9aa13a8a6fb3ab930929899d1ab95b840535861}

Although their sign promised “giant pizza slices,” unfortunately this slice was only an average size, at the above-average price of $10. Regardless, the thin crust, warm and toasty cheese, and appropriately greasy pepperonis still made for a solid meal, with bonus points for being easily portable at the busy festival.

3) Fistful of Tacos: “The Good” Chicken Taco

{shortcode-7b8be1ac90ed74eaff7de82c7a1844e95c53e990}

The highlight of this stand was the array of various sauces available for customers to add to their tacos. In fact, the meat itself was somewhat plain, but (as recommended) I added a few hot sauces that added the perfect pop of flavor to the chicken and corn base. At $8 for the taco, this was one of the more affordable meal options.

2) Liberty Rock Tavern: The O.G. Chicken Sandwich

This sandwich quite literally turned heads as I carried it to my table. With southern fried chicken, crispy bacon, ranch, bread and butter pickles, pickled jalapeños, and a slice of american cheese, the meal had a bit of everything. Every bite was a crispy, salty, spicy, and sour combo that more than justified the $16 price tag.

1) The Tasty Yolk: The Banker Sandwich

{shortcode-83fdb9b0238b12e3f8b729b857c9065ee3370903}

I didn’t expect a breakfast sandwich to top the food list for a festival that opened its gates in the afternoon, but The Tasty Yolk delivered. With two eggs, brisket, Swiss cheese, and spicy aioli packed into a large toasted bun, this sandwich provided a hearty and delicious meal for only $12. The proportion of meat to cheese to bread was impeccable, and the aioli added a subtle kick that sent this item to the top of my list.

Honorable mentions to all of the gourmet food stands that looked incredible but were unfortunately outside of my college student budget. From steak to pizza cones to sushi and more, the Sound on Sound food vendors provided a vast range of meal options for hungry fans!

—Staff writer Stella A. Gilbert can be reached at stella.gilbert@thecrimson.com.