‘White Snake’ Slithers on Without a Bite

Dir. Amp Wong, Zhao Ji—2.5 STARS

{shortcode-7368081aeedd088692a84b53881e666332820c5c}

It’s hard to pin down the best way to describe “White Snake”: a modern take on a Chinese legend or a Chinese “Frozen”? “White Snake,” a Chinese animated film directed by Amp Wong and Zhao Ji, keeps audiences wondering where they’re headed next, not because it has carefully woven twists and turns, but because it’s hard to discern what the film is trying to achieve, as limited character motivations and worldbuilding fail to give any hints.

“White Snake” presents a twist on the Chinese Legend of the White Snake, in which humans are at war against all demons, particularly snake demons. Blanca (Zhang Zhe), a white snake demon, relives the suppressed memories of star-crossed love and war buried in her green hairpin. Animated feature films are often meant for a younger audience, and Western audiences in particular associate animated films with Disney, Dreamworks, and Pixar. When done right, these stories have enough heart and complexity to appeal to all ages, but “White Snake” doesn’t quite tap into that sweet spot. The plot is rather simple, with a story that revolves around two camps in conflict with a forbidden romance at the center and a talking animal sidekick to top it all off. Yet, given the film’s several sensual scenes and the way every female character’s skirt seems to unnecessarily reveal a tad too much skin, it’s also clearly not meant for children.

Another pressing issue with “White Snake” is its lack of worldbuilding. The movie presents just enough about the fantasy world for the story to make sense, and it often doesn’t define critical concepts or rules so plot twists feel unfounded. For instance, characters say the human world has been overrun with demons, but besides the colony of snake demons hiding underground, the movie hardly shows any other demons. It’s clear that the General, the film’s primary antagonist on the human end, is obsessed with capturing snakes for his power, but it’s unclear why snakes are so special and how humans got the upper hand in this fight in the first place. Blanca is initially sent on a mission to kill the General, but the movie doesn’t explain why she’s chosen, how powerful she is relative to anyone else, or what her relation to the rest of the snake colony is like. For most of the film, there’s no indication that there are any more than two cities in the world, and there’s no sense of geography. Even in the climactic battle, it’s unclear how either side’s powers actually work. It’s always tricky to find a balance between building a robust fantasy setting and overloading on exposition, but while the world of “White Snake” shows potential, it’s not nearly developed enough to withstand scrutiny.

What’s even worse is that the characters are underdeveloped as well, so their motivations are constantly unclear. Basically every female character in the movie besides an elderly grandmother is sexualized for no apparent reason and with no contribution to their development. The male protagonist Ah Xuan (Yang Tianxiang), despite easily being the character with the least magical capabilities in a world full of powerful demons and magicians, consistently defeats enemies of all sorts and protects Blanca, one of the most powerful snake demons. Their romance develops in about two days, and it’s rather difficult to understand why Xuan is willing to give up everything for Blanca after knowing her for so short a time. Even the character with the most potential for complexity, Blanca’s best friend Verta (Tang Xiaoxi), falls short. Verta risks her life without hesitation to find Blanca when she disappears, and a combination of her apparent longing for Blanca in several intimate moments hint at the possibility that Verta’s love for Blanca is more than sisterly. Yet, Blanca never acknowledges the possibility that Verta may have feelings for her, and the film doesn’t take advantage of this possibility that could’ve given the characters and the plot a fresh tension.

Altogether, “White Snake” could be an entertaining way to spend an hour and a half if you’re willing to turn your brain off, and it’s an accessible departure from this world for those who have never tried out Chinese fantasy. Ultimately, though, there’s just not enough substance to sink your teeth into.
—Staff writer Jenna Bao can be reached at jenna.bao@thecrimson.com.