{shortcode-e3a89b983aa8873eb005155110a6eca3473739a3}

Basic Information About Mather

“More singles,” Dean says is the Mather House slogan. Mather House is composed entirely of singles, so you can kiss your perfectly rational fear of bunk beds goodbye. If you’re lucky enough to be placed in Mather, your next three years will be spent in copious amounts of personal space and natural light, with gorgeous views potentially from the 18th floor of the tower, where you can gaze out over all of Cambridge. Though sophomores typically live in the low-rise, some will likely be placed in overflow housing in DeWolfe, which is an apartment building with air conditioning, huge common rooms, and kitchens where you can live out your Gordon Ramsey lifestyle. Not a bad draw.

Sophomores who do end up living in the low-rise will be placed in ~duplexes~. Each two-story suite typically comes with four to five singles, a common room, and a bathroom. Whether you’re blocking alone or with seven of your closest friends, Mather’s housing situation truly accommodates everyone.

{shortcode-03ee40233c8d337005d978827165788c22ceb4b8}

In addition to the guaranteed singles, the amenities in Mather are extremely conducive to exploring new hobbies and interests. With yoga classes, an aerobic room, a ceramics studio, an art room, an exercise room with new equipment, a wood-turning studio, and a tranquility room, Mather House is the perfect place to try new things.

Mather is the only house with two mascots, the lion and the gorilla, which stay true to the House’s nickname of the “Concrete Jungle.” The crest itself has “deep symbolic meaning that you’ll only understand if you live here,” says HoCo Co-Chair Thor Reimann ’25. So much mystery that you’ll only be privy to as a Mather resident…

The Mather faculty and tutors have an amazing reputation among students. The House deans are comparable to Bill Nye, said Dean. They get people excited about learning, take students on fun excursions, and are extremely welcoming. The faculty also strives to center around student voices, ensuring that all residents have a voice and ears willing to listen.

The Mather Environment

Mather Lather. Live Music. Who Would You Rather In Mather (Valentine’s Day speed dating, obviously). Formals. Happy Hours. The list goes on.

{shortcode-62dda652342b37026842c0b0bd405e0ada9db29e}

“There’s always something going on,” said Dean. Mather is an extremely social house, with its residents constantly having the option to partake in parties and events.

Mather House is the place to be on the weekends. While most students have likely visited the JCR (Junior Common Room) at one point or another, living in Mather makes going to ~social events~ that much easier, since you’ll be living in a social hub. Mather residents prioritize having fun (when they have a break from p-sets, if ever) whether it’s through JCR ~get togethers~, live music, happy hour, or the many events planned by the HoCo, the faculty, or the students themselves.

“I love the social life at Mather, because no matter what day it is, you know there’s something happening,” says Dean. “Mather House has made my Harvard experience awesome”

My Mind-Blowing Mather Tour

Mather House is located in River East, at the edge of campus. “Being a little bit further away definitely has its perks and its drawbacks,” said Mather resident (and Flyby editor!) Ellen S. Deng ’24, “but I feel like those are all ameliorated by the presence of the Mather shuttle bus.” The shuttle bus runs from the front doors of Mather every ten minutes in the morning, so if you’re worried about a walk, don’t be.

Many students judge Mather based on its concrete exterior, but once in Mather, you’ll find singles beauty in the brutalism. “There’s a loving curve,” says Tina Chen ’24.

In order to fully immerse myself in Mather life, I took a tour of the House.

To add to Mather’s robust social culture, when entering Mather, the first place you’ll find yourself is in Mather’s courtyard. This is another perk to the house, as you are always bumping into friends through forced proximity and having to walk through the courtyard.

After crossing through the courtyard, we entered the Three Columns Gallery, where Mather’s emphasis on amplifying student voices is tangible. You can find student pottery on display and a map marked with student hometowns. There are also pictures of the house pets!

A short walk led to the library. Here, Deng notes that the beautiful blend of “dark wood, glass, concrete, and a lot of greenery,” is obvious and makes the library a favorite space among Mather residents.

“[The dining hall] is the nexus of Mather life,” says Deng, and Reimann notes that “the d-hall has so much natural light.” With floor to ceiling windows and a public library vibe, the d-hall is a great space to dive into homework, refuel, and to watch all of the happenings outside, from basketball games in the outdoor courts to sunsets over the Charles. The d-hall also features a sporadic but great coffee bar and an incredible team of HUDS members.

{shortcode-334232b3c2127731794cbababddf8933ce6f949c}

Next stop, the Senior Common Room, which is one of several quiet study spaces in Mather that all boast rejuvenating natural light, beautiful designs, and perks like pianos.

Then, we toured the amenities, like a fully equipped gym, a ceramics studio, an art room fully stocked with paint and other supplies, a relaxing tranquility room, and a wood-turning studio, all of which are great spaces to spend any free time.

The famous Mather tunnels were next. Student expressions covered the walls of the tunnels. Each Mather resident gets the opportunity to leave their mark on Mather through painting a tile in the tunnels. Start brainstorming your tile now!

Mather House may seem daunting at first, but don’t judge a book by its cover. With Mather as your home, your next three years will be filled with great people, new hobbies, and plenty of space to yourself!