{shortcode-88436a9497b7673412354127406f51b6d9287e1c}

Quirks and Perks

Dunster is the epitome of Harvard style, with its red-brick exterior, dark wood paneling, and a picturesque lawn. It’s no wonder that it’s one of the most photographed spots on campus, after the John Harvard statue, of course. “Dunster House has that classic Ivy League look that instantly comes to mind when someone mentions Harvard,” said Housing Committee Co-Chair Paz Meyers ’25. But Dunster is more than just a pretty face. It also has a vibrant and tight-knit community, with tons of house spirit. HoCo Co-Chair Connor Huey added, “It’s definitely a great community that feels close.”

{shortcode-bab0474b6c86b03970d4670a9d2344cd6868805f}

Dunsterites know how to have fun, and they have plenty of events to prove it. One of the most famous ones is the Goat Roast, which used to involve an actual goat (don’t worry, it’s been replaced by a petting zoo, a barbecue, and a bouncy house). The Goat Roast also has a different theme every year, chosen by the HoCo chairs. Another Dunster tradition is the Red Tie Dinner, where house members make predictions for the next year and reflect on how well they did with their previous ones. Dunster also has a unique musical event, the Messiah Sing, which has been going on for the past 48 years. Dunsterites gather in the dining hall to sing along to Handel’s Messiah, accompanied by a live orchestra, sharing an evening of music and celebration. And of course, Dunster has its own formals at the end of each semester, where everyone dresses up and dances the night away.

{shortcode-30e330d5a1f153f4bb7a75a8f6af09b21a98e9b2}

As a sophomore, you’ll get to go on a special cruise during orientation, where you can bond with your new housemates and enjoy the views of Boston. You’ll also get to experience Dunster’s strong stein culture, which features a different theme each time, such as carving pumpkins, transforming the d-hall into a winter wonderland, and making crafts like moose ornaments. Dunster also has other traditions, like monthly open houses at the Faculty Dean residence for yummy snacks, courtyard s’mores, fireside study breaks to relax and socialize with friends, and moose-ical concerts in the library where you can listen to the talented musicians of the Dunster community. There are also lots of fun outings, like apple picking and snow tubing, which are great ways to escape the campus bubble and have some fun with your housemates. The House Deans, professors Cheryl Chen and Sean D. Kelly, who are faculty members of the Philosophy Department, love to host faculty dinners and get involved with house life. “They’re very supportive, and they really work with us to foster community within the house,” said Meyers.

Dunster is also a powerhouse when it comes to IMs, and it’s typically in the top three Houses competing for the Straus Cup. While there is an element of competition that fuels participation, IMs are also a really great opportunity to build community and meet new housemates.

Saving the best for last, Dunster also has a late-night dining option, so the d-hall is open until 8:30 p.m. on weekdays. This is perfect for athletes who have evening practices, or Dunsterites who want to eat later than the usual 7:30 p.m. cutoff for the other upperclassmen dhalls.

All About Housing

As a sophomore in Dunster, you’ll most likely live in DeWolfe, which is an apartment-style dorm that’s only a five-minute walk from the main house. DeWolfe is probably the best sophomore housing on campus, with spacious suites that have two doubles, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a huge common room. And did we mention they have air conditioning? In Dunster itself, you’ll find a variety of housing options, from hallway doubles to quads, and even a legendary seven-man duplex on the top floor (which is usually reserved for seniors and a spot known for hosting social gatherings). As you get older, you’ll also have the chance to get singles and larger suites.

Dunster also has some awesome amenities, like a gym, a squash court, and a Grille that serves up delicious snacks like mozzarella sticks and cheeseburgers (your BoardPlus account might end up empty, but your stomach certainly won’t). You’ll also have access to music practice rooms, an art studio, and a meditation space.

{shortcode-7c3c0ae06051b453886d01983522b6d3aa1798db}

Dunster has plenty of study spaces, too, like the Smart Classroom that can also be used as a meeting space. There’s also Dunster’s house library, which has gorgeous dark wood paneling, overlooks the river, and has a huge collection of books. The library has two offshoot rooms, one of which leads to a reading room that’s great for group study, or as Dunsterite and Blog Editor Laasya Chiduruppa ’26 calls it, “the light academia room.” The other room is the ~secret~ room, which stores books that are occasionally taken out by the Resident Deans for students to admire. The d-hall and basement are also popular spots to study and socialize, or watch a movie on the TV.

Your Questions, Answered

What’s something unique about Dunster?

CH: “Our mascot is the moose. We’re very proud of that. Our newsletter is called the Mooseletter, and our mailing list is called Moose [Droppings]. We have a great culture, and we’re pretty competitive in IMs.”

PM: “House spirit is great. Best thing about Dunster is the fact that our dining hall is open until 8:30 p.m. every night except Sunday. Everyone eats dinner at Dunster!”

Where are the best views from Dunster?

LC: “When you look up at [the] illuminated clock tower right below is the Dunster library. It’s objectively the most beautiful library on campus. And you can look directly into it. One of the best scenes on campus, hands down.”

*Note: Dunster is also right across from Weeks Bridge, so it’s a great spot (and pretty convenient!) to go catch the sunset from there.

How far is Dunster from the yard?

PM: “15 minutes?”

CH: “More like 10 minutes… 3 minutes if you have a bike”

If there’s one thing you’ll learn about Dunster, in the words of Meyers, “You’ll love wherever you go, but you’ll love Dunster more.”