Ah, the Charles. We may “love that dirty water,” but do we love it enough to swim in it? While the river today is much cleaner than it was when it inspired the now-famous Red Sox victory song “Dirty Water,” we’re still a little skeptical about taking a dip.

That said, we know that some of you may be planning to go for a swim off the conveniently located Weeks Footbridge before the summer ends. For that reason, Flyby has compiled a list of pros and cons for you to consider before taking the plunge.{shortcode-81e88086178e7fa5d8381bf4a30f9f4d3a310c8d}

Pro: Right now, the river is cleaner than it has almost ever been, so it seems like as good a time as ever to experience the rite of passage that swimming in the Charles has become.

Con: Cleaner doesn’t necessarily mean clean. It is true that the water quality of the Charles River is improving—20 years ago it was given a measly D rating from the Environmental Protection Agency, and now the river’s grade from the EPA fluctuates between a B and a B+. As good as that might sound, a B only means that the river has met standards for some swimming.

Pro: The river is a good place to take a dip without the hassle of salt water or an overwhelming current.

Con: While it may be nice not to worry too much about being swept away as you swim, what else is not being swept away? According to Charles River Conservancy spokesperson SJ Port, “Sediments on the river bottom contain toxic heavy metals, PCBs, and other contaminants.” Something to think about before you jump feet first into the murky depths.

Pro: Tired of rowers and other boats hogging the Charles? Swimming could be your way to get in on the river’s water sport action without joining a team or spending money to rent a kayak.

Con: If you’re searching for a dependable activity on the river, keep looking. Sam Lipson, environmental health director of the Cambridge Public Health Department, told Flyby that the cleanliness of the river varies depending on rainfall and other factors. As a result, “It is not permitted to swim in the Charles outside of authorized events,” said SJ Port. In other words, you’re still not allowed to swim off the Weeks bridge—but if we’re being truthful, we already knew that.

Pro: Bragging rights, plain and simple.

Con: It’s hard to forget that dead bodies (among other things) are still pulled from the river every once in awhile, including two in the past year. Despite the appeal of bragging rights, we just can’t shake the ick factor.