Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

March 9, 1918: War Taking Heavier Toll of University

War has exacted from the ranks of University graduates and undergraduates a heavier toll during the past winter than it did throughout the first six months following the entrance of the United States into the European conflict. The University War Record Office announces that since October the list of casualties among the University's men engaged in active service contains 12 deaths, as compared with 10 in the months from April 6 through September and 36 before the declaration of war by the United States. This brings the losses of University men since August, 1914, to a total of 58.

March 14, 1923: Liberals Take Stand Against Restriction

In view of the discussion that has lately been aroused by suggestions to restrict admission to the University, a meeting of the Liberal Club was recently held to consider whether this was the kind of question on which the club wished to take a stand. Hitherto the Liberal Club has endorsed no policy save that of free speech. At this meeting, however, the club adopted the following resolution by a vote of 28 to 7: "Resolved: That in the opinion of the Student Liberal Club of Harvard University any limitations which may be placed upon admission to Harvard University should not be based upon the race or religion of the applicants for admission."

March 15, 1946: 900 Crowd Into New Lecture Hall To Hear Auden Recite Own Poetry

Hooting, screaming, caterwauling, over 900 students flooded suddenly out of Emerson D Wednesday and raced vigorously towards the New Lecture Hall with the peculiarly startling cry of "audenaudenauden." The recipient of this gratitude, affection, and inspiration eased down into a chair in St. Clair's, with the summary, "It was rather frightening."

March 11, 1977: Women Hold Up Half the Sky

This past Tuesday went unnoticed by most of Harvard, no break in classes, nothing unusual. Had it been Columbus Day, or Saint Patrick's Day, or the fourth of July, Harvard would have taken notice. So why was this day different from all other days? It was International Working Women's Day, a holiday forgotten or unheard of by most people at Harvard. Did anyone know? Did anyone care? Who understands what it stands for? Every child in America learns what Columbus Day stands for...

—Compiled by Abigail K. Fiedler