Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

January 20, 1910: Original College Wall Discovered

In the southeastward course of the excavations for the Cambridge subway, the southwest corner of the original "Harvard College," built in 1638, has been unearthed. On December 8, 1909, about 40 feet of the wall of Edward Goffe's House, which stood on an adjoining lot, was discovered a little to the west of Wadsworth House, running parallel with the street. The piece just discovered is about 40 yards below Wadsworth House.

The corner is almost directly opposite the entrance to Holyoke House, and is in a perfect state of preservation. It is constructed of field stones. The wall running to the east appears to extend under the sidewalk around the "College Yard." The upper courses of both walls leading from the corner were removed years ago when the water mains were installed along Massachusetts avenue.

January 26, 1942: Yale Grad Taken For Nazi Agent Photoing Widener

Proof of Harvard's alertness in matters of defense was afforded Saturday by the apprehension of a suspicious-looking character in the act of taking a picture of Widener with a foreign camera. Accused of being a Nazi agent, the culprit was taken into custody by the Yard Cops.

Further quizzing by Arthur Wild '26, head of the University News Office, exonerated the captive of foreign connections, however. He turned out to be a harmless Yale grad seeing the sights.

January 22, 1948: Icy Torrents and Collapsible Roofs Give Examination Blues New Theme

Uncounted bruised rumps and one crushed roof joined the weather's victim list yesterday in the watery aftermath of the worst ice and snow blitz to hit Cambridge in a generation.

The storm has bombarded the area with a weight of 45 pounds per square foot, according to an estimate of the Blue Hills Observatory of Harvard, splitting the roof of Hollis Hall yesterday, and sending ice water cascading down the four story stair well.

Waste paper baskets proved ineffective in stemming the cold shouldered flood as it ripped away ceilings and laid a slippery coat down Hollis stairs.

Friday, January 24, 1958: Freshman Applicants Increase 20 Percent

Applications for admission to next year's Freshman class have increased approximately twenty per cent over last year, David D. Henry '41, Director of Admissions, reported yesterday.

Since early in September, Henry said, the Admissions Office has received 3400 applications from public and private school students, 500 more than were submitted by January 15, 1957.

January 20, 1967: Cliffies Pay More for Hamburgers As Graduate Center Meets Inflation

The Radcliffe Graduate Center, daily lunchroom of at least 250 Cliffies, has succumbed to inflation and raised its prices.

For the past few years, Cliffies have been allowed to eat in the graduate cafeteria as an alternative to having lunch in their own dorms. They are given an allotment of 80 cents per day, which was ample in the days when hamburgers were 30 cents, cottage cheese a nickel, and ice cream and fruit, only a dime.

But now, the allotment has stayed the same, but most of the prices have gone up five cents per item. Hamburgers now cost 35 cents, and the Cliffies who like two (without the caloric rolls, of course,) will just have to skip the salad, or pay the extra in cash.

—Compiled by Rebecca D. Robbins