Every Friday, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

April 10, 1900: Students Asked To Give Up Rooms and Furniture for Cuban Teachers

A meeting of the undersigned members of Harvard University was held last night in the parlor of Phillips Brooks Memorial to consider the housing of the Cuban teachers who will be in Cambridge for six weeks during the summer. All expenses for instruction and board will be paid by Harvard University, and a subscription to that end will be taken up among the graduates. The women, about 900 in number, will be lodged in the private boarding houses of Cambridge and it will be necessary to find rooms, furniture and bedding for the men in the College dormitories. There will be between five and six hundred of them.

April 11, 1927: Public Schools' Graduates Excel

Two hundred and ninety high school men are scholarship holders at Harvard this year while only 84 men prepared in private schools received these financial aids.

Boston and its vicinity ranks very high; for about 95 undergraduate holders of these awards were prepared in schools in this district. The Boston Latin School heads the list with 34 winners while Cambridge Latin has 22. There are 39 other men from Boston high schools. This large number is offset by the large percentage of undergraduates who prepared in this district, but in spite of that it shows the high standard maintained by these schools.

April 12, 1950: 12,300 Eggs, 3 Tons Ham Kept 'Cliffe Salted in '46

The next time your Radcliffe date murmurs in your ear that a dinner at Locke-Ober's would be nice, ignore her. A recent survey discloses that the average freshman gains from 10 to 15 pounds during her first term, largely on her fare in the Annex dorms.

This isn't so remarkable when one considers that last year 'Cliffe-dwellers polished off five tons of roast lamb, four tons of roast beef, three tons of ham, and almost two tons of butter. As if this weren't enough, they topped it off with 12,300 eggs and close to 300 gallons of ice cream.

April 8, 1968: White and Brown

After the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. last Thursday evening, ghetto-cities across the country braced themselves for large scale riots. Every possible preventive measure was taken to minimize the violence: King's non-violent legacy was invoked; Johnson cancelled his trip to Hawaii and called for unity; a four p.m. curfew was declared in Washington; police, National Guardsmen, and Federal troops poured into the ghettos.

But after a painful summer of experience, a number of government officials had learned that armed repression often did little more than spread the fires of the riot-revolt. In a rare movement of governmental inventiveness Mayor Kevin White produced and directed one of the most daring scenarios in an effort to keep Roxbury off the riot casuality list.