Harvard College Dean Khurana’s Departure Polarizes Students

Many students said they mourned the loss of a campus ‘mascot’ even as activist groups celebrated.

{shortcode-90f5bfb8649cef3759505f80e8d2e44e7ab1fea8}

Harvard undergraduates reacted with indifference and joy at Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana’s announcement on Thursday that he will step down in June 2025.

While most students said they were unfamiliar with Khurana’s administrative record, they nearly unanimously agreed that he has maintained an electric presence on campus, calling him “down-to-earth” and praising his “go-getter attitude.”

“He doesn’t hide behind emails, he’s out and about. I see him crossing campus all the time, and he knows my name,” said Ariel F. Kohn ’26. “In a super wonderful way, he’s kind of the mascot of Harvard College.”

Doak M. Dean ’26 said that while he has never met Khurana, the dean is always recognizable, even from a distance.

“He’s got aura, is what he’s got,” Dean said. “He kinda glows.”

Khurana’s vibrant presence on campus is supported by an infamous Instagram account, known among the student body for being littered with selfies and photos with undergraduates spotted around campus.

{shortcode-b8bcabff46e607d8a6435896f7b8df93d8579840}

“People that get on the Instagram really come from all walks of life on this campus. They come in all sorts of clubs, all sorts of organizations, all sort of student groups,” said Harvard Undergraduate Association Co-President Jonathan Haileselassie ’26.

“I remember the first time I was on there, I was like, ‘Wow. This is so fun. This is awesome,’” Haileselassie added.

Graham W. Lee ’28 said he saw Khurana’s Instagram page before he applied to Harvard and added that Khurana “seems to really care about and appreciate” the students that he posts.

Some undergraduates who worked directly with Khurana — through involvement in organizations like the College’s Intellectual Vitality Initiative, Honor Council, or HUA — praised his “energetic leadership style” and ability to listen.

HUA Co-President Ashley C. Adirika ’26 said she will “always appreciate” Khurana’s tendency to “notice the people in the room who are silent and ask them to speak up about their thoughts,” which she observed in their first meeting with him this spring.

“In a room like that, where it’s dominated by mostly men because I was the only girl in the room — a little bit intimidating — Dean Khurana was like, ‘Ashley, what do you think? What do you feel?’” Adirika said.

{shortcode-5fa7ce9d8bc0901ff07be932a24937fd2f2f43cb}

In early 2020, Tobias A. Benn ’24 brought his concerns about “student self-censorship” to Khurana during the dean’s office hours — a conversation that sparked the formation of the Intellectual Vitality Initiative.

Benn said Khurana “listened attentively” and demonstrated that he took Benn’s concerns seriously.

“His capacity to dissect ideas, honed in his sociological studies, combined with his leadership skills from business, made him an effective and exciting person to drive the Intellectual Vitality initiative into a full-blown program,” Benn wrote in a statement.

Ricardo A. Fernandes Garcia ’27 said he was impressed by Khurana’s “brave” embrace of difficult conversations just last week, when he worked as a proctor for the First Year Arts Program.

“During the pre-orientation proctor meeting, he opened the floor to questions, which I find very brave,” Fernandes Garcia said, adding that several students asked Khurana about his handling of the spring semester’s pro-Palestine encampment in Harvard Yard.

“I feel like he was a bit nervous in answering the questions, but he answered them,” Fernandes Garcia said.

Khurana — who chairs the College’s Administrative Board, the body responsible for implementing College policies — faced intense backlash following the controversial and later-reversed decision to suspend and withhold diplomas from pro-Palestine protesters. Still, several students said their familiarity with Khurana did not extend beyond his student-facing charisma.

“I think he seems to have acted with people’s best interests in mind and at heart,” Rebecca M. Hirschfeld ’27 said.

{shortcode-59b5ea0f749f756835111c7f6772421b180ae7d8}

Christina L. Shi ’27 said she noticed backlash against Khurana over the College’s response to the encampment, but was unsure of his exact involvement in the decision to suspend protesters — a sentiment shared by several students.

“I don’t know specifically what he did with that situation, but I did see people commenting crazy stuff on his Instagram,” Shi said.

But for students who directly faced the consequences of Khurana’s Ad Board, his involvement in disciplining protesters remains a fresh wound.

Harvard Out of Occupied Palestine, an unrecognized student group that staged the pro-Palestine encampment, wrote in a Thursday email that Khurana’s social media posts cannot “erase” his “rampant threats to student safety and free expression.”

“For 11 years, Dean Khurana has served as a friendly face obscuring Harvard’s investments in Israeli genocide and apartheid. Last spring, Dean Khurana disciplined dozens of student protestors and neglected rampant threats to student safety and free expression, violent acts which no number of Instagram selfies or sentimental emails can erase,” HOOP wrote.

“Last year’s student body saw through his smiling facade and we will continue to lay bare the many masks of the University’s complicity,” the group added.

College spokesperson Jonathan Palumbo declined to comment for this article, instead referring The Crimson to emails from Hoekstra and Khurana on Thursday.

“As we reflect on Dean Khurana’s tenure, we recognize not only his numerous accomplishments but also his distinctive leadership style, characterized by approachability and a genuine commitment to listening to the voices across the entire Harvard community,” Hoekstra wrote.

{shortcode-ee5ea15c7a1cd36663ad875ced51516fa82057df}

Clyve Lawrence ’25, a leader of the Dename Winthrop project, said he has noticed that Khurana treats student activists on campus differently from other students.

“The reality sets in, especially once you get involved in organizing at Harvard — you realize he’s just another cog in the administrative machine,” said Lawrence, a Crimson Editorial editor.

“I felt he was colder after I introduced myself as part of Dename Winthrop,” he added.

Lawrence said this change is difficult to see for students who are not involved in campus activism.

“It’s ironic because he’s visible when it comes to student life, but then when it comes to decision-making over things like divestment, he kind of disappears,” Lawrence said. “When it comes to meeting with students about their concerns being doxxed, he kind of disappears.”

Some students said they hope to take advantage of Khurana’s final year helming the College, including getting a feature on his Instagram. Haley M. Stark ’25 said she and her improv troupe, Three Letter Acronym, are hoping to collaborate with Khurana in a show this year.

“I think people would love to see him do something comedic and fun at the end,” Stark said.

Though the search for Khurana’s successor has yet to begin, students agreed that Khurana’s consistent presence on campus — and his Instagram — would be difficult to replace.

“I feel like the thing he will be missed for most is the Instagram posts,” Fernandes Garcia said. “He’s my favorite influencer.”

—Staff writer Elyse C. Goncalves can be reached at elyse.goncalves@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @e1ysegoncalves or on Threads @elyse.goncalves.

—Staff writer Azusa M. Lippit can be reached at azusa.lippit@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @azusalippit or on Threads @azusalippit.