From Boston Calling 2024: Sunday Sound Bites

{shortcode-c040d22124dd22be42752f7e196ea1b9bb0e4ae6}

The Heavy Heavy

As the three-day music festival came to a close, Sunday’s lineup proved to be a strong finish. The first show on the Green Stage was the alternative rock 5-piece group, The Heavy Heavy. Their driving vocals and drawn-out instrumental breaks created a nostalgia that reminisced on the styles of Fleetwood Mac and Hall & Oates. As for their cover of Father John Misty’s “Real Love Baby,” the guitars supplied beautiful, sustained counter-melodies. As their thirty-minute set came to a close, it was clear that The Heavy Heavy’s stage presence was all their own. Fans and newcomers alike were drawn in by their charming, grandiose songs and lively stage presence.

{shortcode-b1a829b00bdb5d4862d0c8cfbefa9c3bde5b8f03}

Francis of Delirium

Francis of Delirium is composed of singer Jana Bahrich and Chris Hewett, the producer and drummer. Their performance marked the beginning of the Luxembourgish musician’s North American tour in support of their debut album, “Lighthouse,” released on March 22. On the Allianz Blue Stage, Francis of Delirium was electric and raw.

Before the track, “Real Love,” Bahrich got sentimental: “I love you guys very much, right from the heart and soul.”

Bahrich’s voice was refreshing above the hard-hitting guitar and bass. For fans of grunge and indie rock, Francis of Delirium is one to watch.

{shortcode-3d0bcd70e064219d81b1e1a43c0348617230184f}

Chappell Roan

“This song is for the girl with a miniskirt and gogo boots. She’s got canine teeth long like a vampire,” Chappell Roan said to the screaming crowd of pink bobs and rhinestones at Boston Calling.

The rising star was slated to perform in the middle of Sunday’s lineup, and Roan’s recent fame garnered a massive audience of thousands. Roan embodied the song, “Red Wine Supernova,” with fiery red hair that flowed behind her as she leapt about the stage.

For those unfamiliar, Chappell Roan is a modern madonna: the queer musician wore harlequin-Gene-Simmons-esque drag makeup and sang love songs about all genders. Her popular track, “HOT TO GO!,” engaged audience members of all ages, as the singer led a YMCA-style dance spelling out each letter of the song’s title. Roan held the attention of the crowd at every moment and took a pause during the set to recognize her talented band.

“These girls are in latex, you better scream loud,” said Roan.

The set was epic: her song “Casual,” was an anthemic, angsty ballad, and the disco-infused “After Midnight,” displayed her pop character. Roan brought star power to the roaring crowd at the Green Stage, serving a worthy preamble to the rest of Sunday’s star-studded lineup.

{shortcode-505643034e22332a59054131402b34f4dfcc0445}

Megan Thee Stallion

“Damn, that’s a big ass blunt, y’all can do that at Harvard?” laughed Megan Thee Stallion.

In the middle of her captivating show at Boston Calling — mere hours before the night’s headliner — she paused to acknowledge a member of the crowd that was carrying a plastic blow-up joint. The entire field was filled as thousands of fans piled into the Harvard Athletic Complex to let loose and dance. Megan’s performance was a spectacle of fire, backup dancers, and an outfit change.

—Staff writer Gwendolyn M. Ibarra can be reached at gwendolyn.ibarra@thecrimson.com.