Here’s the Scoop: Van Leeuwen’s to Open in Harvard Square

{shortcode-61abd51224852b96ff1893f0933b9d6bb313e30a}

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream will look to be the crème de la crème of ice cream selections in Harvard Square as it is set to open a Cambridge location in the near future.

Founded in New York City and established in eight states and Washington, D.C., Van Leeuwen is planning to open three stores across the Boston metro area. The Harvard Square location will be located at 1 Brattle Square, across from Bluestone Lane Cafe.

Jisung P. Lee ’25 said she enjoyed trying Van Leeuwen’s ice cream while in New York and was “surprised” to hear the chain was coming to the Square.

“I was personally surprised to know that there was another ice cream shop opening because it just adds to the numerous that we have already,” Lee said.

The Square is currently home to six ice cream stores: J.P. Licks, Ben and Jerry’s, BerryLine, Amorino, Taiyaki, and Lizzy’s. With another nationwide chain joining the collection, residents will have a wealth of options to choose from for their late-night cravings.

Hannah G. Zhou ’25 said another ice cream shop in the Square does not feel “necessary,” but added that she’s still willing to try Van Leeuwen for the “novelty.”

“If after going one time, I didn’t like it that much, I probably wouldn’t go back again,” she said. “It also depends a lot on the price point.”

Carlos Covarrueeis — an employee at Boston area ice cream shop J.P. Licks — said he does not think they will face competition from Van Leeuwen because “J.P. Licks is the best ice cream from Boston,” adding that J.P. Licks also sells a fully kosher certified menu that includes coffee and breakfast sandwiches.

Eddie H. Galante, who has worked at J.P. Licks for three months, said he is happy to see another ice cream shop appear in the Square.

“On a summer night, there’s never enough ice cream places open,” he said.

Ben and Jerry’s associate manager Hannah Nangle said she doesn’t believe the Harvard Square Ben and Jerry’s will face threat from Van Leeuwens, thanks to the company’s established presence on campus.

“People love our brand presence,” Nangle said. “They love knowing our history.”

Emily Parke ’24 said she is “excited” for Van Leeuwen’s eventual opening and that it’s “fun” to have so many ice cream options.

“I see them in the grocery store sometimes and I see that they’re kind of expensive, but that makes me think that maybe they’re good,” Parke said.

Gabriel H. Basden ’26 said that despite the new option, he will be remaining loyal to J.P. Licks, his favorite ice cream shop in the square.

“I believe in loyalty and maintaining ties to the relationships and connections you’ve known for the longest time, and I’ve yet to have a bad cookie dough from J.P. Licks,” he said. “I will not be trying the new place.”

Van Leeuwen did not respond to a request for comment.

Despite the many ice cream chains on campus, Karen Z. Song ’25​​ said she doesn’t see the shops as a “hangout spot” that students frequent on campus.

“It will be interesting to see if Van Leeuwen changes that dynamic and normalizes ice cream consumption,” Song said.

—Staff writer Sally E. Edwards can be reached at sally.edwards@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @sallyedwards04 or on Threads @sally_edwards06.

—Staff writer Asher J. Montgomery can be reached at asher.montgomery@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @asherjmont or on Threads @asher_montgomery.