Green Line Derails Near Lechmere Station, Injures 6

{shortcode-55d988cde215d7cd5340baf3cc0656dc9f9cbc4f}

An eastbound MBTA Green Line train derailed Tuesday evening near Lechmere Station near Kendall Square after the wheels of the lead trolly came off the tracks, resulting in six injuries and the self-evacuation of 50 passengers, the MBTA wrote in a statement.

The Cambridge Fire Department and Cambridge Police responded to the incident just before 5 p.m. Six riders were transported to local medical facilities with minor injuries, according to Cambridge Police Department spokesperson Robert Goulston.

According to the MBTA, the cause of the derailment is currently under investigation, with work crews arriving at the scene late Tuesday to assess the damage and put the train back on the rails. The MBTA notified the Department of Public Utilities and the Federal Transit Administration soon after the incident.

“The MBTA sincerely apologizes to riders for the frustration and distress this incident has caused,” MBTA spokesperson Lisa Battiston wrote in a statement. “We are committed to thoroughly investigating this matter to ensure this does not happen again.”

For the time being, shuttle buses are replacing trains between North Station and the Union Square and Medford/Tufts Stations.

—Staff writer Asher J. Montgomery can be reached at asher.montgomery@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @asherjmont or on Threads @asher_montgomery.