‘MAMMA MIA!’ Review: A Dazzling Musical Sure to Bring Out Your Inner Dancing Queen

{shortcode-97fd0ef1167986aefc785def3b2d7d3eb3816dc3}

The perfect antidote to a week of heavy clouds and gray-stained skies? One ticket to the Greek island of Kalokairi, where love is in the air, old flames are roaring back to life, and the party never ends.

“MAMMA MIA!,” the beloved jukebox musical that brings ABBA’s discography to life onstage, is running at the Citizens Opera House through Oct. 6. The show follows Donna (Christine Sherrill), a burnt-out hotelier preparing for her daughter Sophie’s (Alisa Melendez) upcoming nuptials, and the shenanigans that ensue when Sophie secretly invites three men she believes could be her father to the wedding: Harry Bright (Rob Marnell), Bill Austin (Jim Newman), and Sam Carmichael (Victor Wallace). As Sophie struggles to determine which of the three is her actual father, Donna must grapple with a past she thought she had left behind — and the fact that her old flames are sizzling hot and as maddening as ever. In between scenes full of glitter, disco, and drama, both mother and daughter must overcome doubts about the past and future and redefine the true meaning of family.

From start to finish, “MAMMA MIA!” is an electric night of ’70s music and all-out revelry that sweeps viewers off their feet and keeps them coming back, time and time again, to laugh, dance, and sing along. The best word to describe the show is simply “fun” — at its heart, “MAMMA MIA!” feels like one big party that welcomes each audience member with open arms.

Visually, the costuming by Lucy Gaiger captures the warm tones of the summer sun and the soft blues of the Mediterranean sea, with each character’s wardrobe carefully curated to provide insight into their personal quirks. For instance, Donna’s friend Tanya (Jalynn Steele) embodies the peak of fashion throughout the musical, whereas Donna’s more sensible overalls remind the audience that she has had to work hard to build a life on Kalokairi for herself and Sophie. Donna’s exes are also defined by their wardrobes: in a nod to his reputation as a famous travel writer, Bill sports the garb of a time-tested adventurer fresh off safari. This is a sharp contrast to Harry’s tightly-buttoned attire, characteristic of the stiff but soft-hearted British banker.

In general, the sets, designed by Nancy Thun, remain simple and unobtrusive, creating the silhouette of a Greek paradise without distracting from the drama-filled scenes and captivating dance numbers. Among the most strikingly choreographed songs are “Voulez-Vous,” in which Sophie’s bachelorette party spirals out of control, “Under Attack,” which descends into the dream realm and twists imagery from earlier scenes, and “Does Your Mother Know,” in which Tanya’s dancing chops put a hot-blooded young admirer in his place.

Other highlights include “Dancing Queen,” an iconic ABBA classic in which Donna’s friends revive the diva from their teenage years, and “Slipping Through My Fingers,” where Donna helps Sophie prepare for her wedding and reminisces about how quickly her daughter’s childhood has snuck by. A thoroughly moving number, the performance is sure to evoke more than a few tears from parents in the audience.

Melendez’s Sophie is full of light and incandescent youth, a less disillusioned version of Sherril’s Donna. Both Melendez and Sherril bring staggering vocal performances to the stage – Sherill most remarkably in “The Winner Takes It All,” and Melendez in a powerful rendition of “The Name of The Game.” Other noteworthy performances include Carly Sakolove’s relatable portrayal of Rosie, which is guaranteed to charm audiences and win waves of laughter. Wallace also shines in “Knowing Me, Knowing You,” a heartbreak anthem that puts his powerful vocals on full display. In fact, perhaps the only real critique that can be made of the show is Marnell’s dubious British accent — a forgivable offense in a musical where realism consistently takes a back seat.

All in all, “MAMMA MIA!” is a heartwarming show that will leave you dancing your way home, humming to yourself all night long, and calling the ones you love to remind them what they mean to you. Perhaps the best description of the musical comes from “MAMMA MIA!” itself: “You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life.”

“MAMMA MIA!” runs at Citizens Opera House through Oct. 6.

—Staff writer Makenna J. Walko can be reached at makenna.walko@thecrimson.com.