From Re:SET Concert Series 2023: Friday Soundbites

{shortcode-4eba744be83c64d4e9a1439d078672b9e605d7eb}

Fousheé

The inaugural U.S. tour of the Re:SET Concert Series stopped in East Boston to initiate The Stage at Suffolk Downs — a new outdoor venue at the former racetrack. Fousheé — a New Jersey born singer-songwriter who rose to fame after a freestyle version of her song “deep end” became viral on TikTok — opened the show. Fousheé’s more recent contributions to Steve Lacy’s Grammy-winning album “Gemini Rights” on the tracks “Sunshine” and “Bad Habit” heightened the demand for the young singer’s voice. Her performance ranged from sugary acoustic ballads to cutting shrieks in fast-paced metal tracks. The day’s headliner, Steve Lacy, appeared at the end of her set for a maraca shake off, which complimented Fousheé’s funky dancing.

{shortcode-7ad521918886dff5c0bd13185f3674845a85e566}

Toro y Moi

The second performance was from chillwave pioneer Toro y Moi, otherwise known as songwriter and producer Chaz Bear. His stage featured a bright and colorful circle behind the band which melted into trippy imagery and abstract art as the set gradually fell into a controlled madness. A noteworthy performance of “The Loop” ended with a big flash, contrasting the mellow mood set by the song “Ordinary Pleasure.” The electronic transitions between different tempos were executed by isolating each musical voice which created entirely new sounds. In “Laws of The Universe,” the singer took off his bright orange coat to belt out lyrics. The music and visuals seemed to lose all sense as the previously abstract images were replaced with a video of an orangutan screaming.

{shortcode-f9c0858f328706010272db97411234cb2daa9e23}

James Blake

James Blake, a musician, producer, singer, and songwriter, walked onto the stage joined by his band right on schedule. Ringing loud and clear, Blake’s soulful voice pierced through the fog onstage and soared over the electronic noise beneath. He sat on his bench next to a soundboard during the majority of the show, leaving his seat only to thank the crowd. The fans were thrilled by the announcement of his newest release, “Hummingbird.” Blake’s performance of the new track was received very well by the thrumming audience, which jumped back and forth along with the red and pink hues of the stage.