Rosie Darling Concert Review: ‘Everything’s Coming Up Rosie’

{shortcode-a2d2960a22a195b7a53381dd7c2bec61f58bb1db}

Boston-born Rosie Darling made a thrilling return to her hometown at The Red Room at Cafe 939 on Feb. 6, to deliver an energetic and intimate concert fitting of the vermilion venue. The singer-songwriter made a name for herself early on with her 2020 debut, “Coping,” working with producers OKO and EDM duo Tritional. The EP reflects Darling’s mindset as she dealt with her move from the East Coast to Los Angeles, facing head-on a new home and a daunting network of artists to navigate.

Her short-but-sweet setlist embodied this daunting sentiment, a combination of high-energy and delicate songs, all colored with the raw, vulnerable nature that characterizes Darling’s music. Entering with her heart on her sleeve, Darling opened with 2021’s “Reruns,” a tender song with a driving beat that made it a crowd-pleaser. The rest of the set took the audience through a selection of Darling's top hits without neglecting those quieter, more intimate moments, which the indie-pop artist delivered from mere feet away — even for those standing at the back of the room. The cozy setting and bright ambient lighting of the venue only enhanced Darling’s ability to touch the hearts and minds of her fans as she sang “Heavy,” “Always Almost,” and “Golden Age.”

{shortcode-2d2e9a60f21be7c4c7759c88ba639ccf4317194b}

Though she was interrupted by technical difficulties, Darling did not miss a beat, taking a moment to interact with the crowd while the behind-the-scenes work was done. She got the audience to sing “Happy Birthday” to one lucky concert-goer whose birthday was the upcoming weekend. If anything, perhaps the technical difficulties proved a rare and fortunate chance for Darling to speak to the audience, which she did not have much time for given that she shared the evening with Ashley Kutcher. This is not to say that Darling did not interact with the audience — in fact, she made ample use of her proximity to give viewers an entertaining and personal experience. The technical errors could not throw Darling off her game — she picked up right where she left off delivering emotional and delightful renditions of “Say Less,” “What a Convincing Illusion,” and “Witness.” One audience member was even in tears at her performance.

For her last song — the moment everyone in the room had been waiting for — Darling sang a beautiful and spirited rendition of her hit song “Coping.” This closeout to a wonderful performance had audience members singing along with Darling, sending her off the stage with uproarious applause. The only complaint to be had was that the performance was too brief — Rosie Darling clearly has a successful future ahead of her.

—Staff writer Aiden J. Bowers can be reached at aiden.bowers@thecrimson.com