Arts Vanity: Bringing Back Books and Liquor

{shortcode-f05c0f07a1858bcd79d5ab164d8206e3fa48c24b}

For the last year, we’ve published every piece under our jurisdiction in the Books section of The Harvard Crimson. But whenever we searched for the “books” tag in our website’s administration system, a mysterious category would pop up: “books and liquor.” After doing some digging, we discovered that Books&Liquor was a short-lived Fifteen Minutes series that set out to “capture students, professors, tourists, and pedestrians whose diverse sartorial expressions color the campus with flair and style” in 2011. The content tag has remained an alluring presence at Arts meetings ever since.

With our term as co-Books Executives coming to an end, it’s only fitting for us to revive this strange, spectacular section. Here are some of our favorite book-liquor pairings.

Nina’s Picks:

1. ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ and Hot Toddy

The warmth and sweetness of a hot toddy is perfect for revisiting this childhood classic, the first book in J. R. R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” series. Lemon, honey, and hot water evoke the coziness of the Shire before Frodo and his compatriots embark upon their quest, while the hint of whiskey is an acute reminder of adulthood and the challenges it brings. Much like the feeling of nostalgia, this drink is somewhat bittersweet. It pairs well with any book that brings fond memories to mind, especially in the cold weeks of winter break.

2. ‘Normal People’ and Pinot Noir

Reading Sally Rooney’s second novel is a somber experience for anyone who’s gone through heartbreak, from watching a crush go to the dance with someone else to navigating the end of a long-term relationship. College students who struggled to find a sense of belonging on campus are guaranteed to resonate with Connell, who spends most of his freshman year as a secluded English major, often choosing Austen over social interaction. Lean into the melancholy of “Normal People” with a hefty pour of pinot noir. Sink into a comfortable chair and unwind with the smooth product of “the heartbreak grape.” Pinot noir grapes earned their nickname as a variety that is incredibly difficult to grow; the wine’s association with heartbreak makes it the ideal accompaniment for Connell and Marianne’s emotional journey.

3. ‘And Then There Were None’ and Espresso Martini

Drinking an espresso martini is a lot like reading a mystery novel: The alcohol (the act of reading) brings relaxation, while the espresso (the suspense) provides energy and stimulation. “And Then There Were None” is one of Agatha Christie’s greatest novels, following ten strangers with wicked pasts who have been summoned to a private island. Upon arrival, they are told that they will die one by one according to an ominous nursery rhyme. The narrative lacks a detective, meaning readers must stay alert to piece together who is responsible for their deaths. Perk up with an espresso martini for this novel or any one of Christie’s brilliant creations. The book is almost impossible to put down; you’ll want that caffeine boost to get to the end.

Daniel’s Picks:

1. ‘This Side of Paradise’ and Chardonnay

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s very first novel, “This Side of Paradise” is not nearly as well known as “The Great Gatsby” or “The Beautiful and the Damned;” that does not mean, however, that it is any less worth reading. “This Side of Paradise” pairs well with a glass of Chardonnay, perfect for the refined dinner party. When the conversation turns to books, impress your hosts by praising Fitzgerald’s stylistic experiments in his first novel, or show your literary prowess by critiquing its lack of cohesive narrative structure. You might even keep your musings to yourself, and ponder Amory Blaine’s search for his own authentic self in perhaps the shallowest of settings.

2. ‘Blood Meridian, Or, the Evening Redness in the West’ and Tennessee Whiskey

No book pairs better with a glass of Tennessee whiskey than Cormac McCarthy’s masterpiece. Enjoying this drink, you’ll fit right in with the protagonist of this novel, who never skips out on stopping at a saloon as he makes his way from his home in Tennessee to the California coastline. You’ll find sitting over a glass of whiskey the perfect setting to reflect on the role that violence played in shaping the American West as we know it today. “Blood Meridian” will have you thinking long after you’ve read the final page — or, just long enough for the aftertaste of your last sip to go away, so you can pour yourself another glass.

3. ‘On the Road’ and A Nice Cold Beer

Sal Paradise and his friends in “On the Road” are always partying — what better drink to pair with this book than a cold one? Drink your beer and live vicariously through Sal and his wild best friend Dean Moriarty as they speed across the United States, basking in every moment of the all-night parties that they find along the way; the taste of college will mesh perfectly with their on-again-off-again girlfriends and constantly rotating cast of friends. As you finish the book — having finished your beer and feeling a bit warmer inside, even a bit buzzed — remember to cherish the days that could one day form the basis of your own story, inspired, of course, by Jack Kerouac’s seminal novel.

—Outgoing Books Execs Daniel S. de Castro and Nina M. Foster are always on the hunt for more book-liquor pairings; they can be reached at daniel.decastro@thecrimson.com and nina.foster@thecrimson.com.