‘Sherlock’s Last Case’ Brings to Life the Dynamic Duo

{shortcode-19da24e4556842cf138b4741fe0de47c63884a72}The Huntington Theatre Company’s production “Sherlock’s Last Case” is a snarky comedy packed full of unexpected moments that test the legendary duo of detective Sherlock Holmes and his partner Dr. John Watson. When Sherlock Holmes (Rufus Collins) receives a mysterious letter from the late Professor Moriarty’s supposed son, he must solve yet another mystery to preserve his reputation and prevent his own murder. Written by Charles Marowitz and directed by Maria Aitken, the play will run from Sept. 28 to Oct. 28.

Sherlock and Watson (Mark Zeisler) first take to the stage in their famous Baker Street flat, where they launch into hilarious, tongue-in-cheek quips that are the perfect compliment to the dangerous case at hand. The most comedic moments mock the overplayed tropes found in Conan’s Sherlock works, yet reinforce the British humor that makes this detective so unique. Watson is a foil to Sherlock, particularly when it comes to Sherlock’s cold calculating nature. Watson is instead quite warm and respectful, as shown by his treatment of Mrs. Hudson (Jane Ridley), to whom he generously lends his car to aid her in her distant visit to a relative. Inspector Lestrade (Malcolm Ingram) is equally charming as he bumbles along in service of the Crown while also providing aid to Sherlock’s firm after Sherlock disappears. Liza Moriarty (Antoinette Robinson) is outstandingly comical as she stirs Sherlock’s desires and further mystifies the case.

The set is particular well done. The Baker Street flat is marvelously constructed with the hauntingly silent cuckoo clock in the background, in which a framed silhouette of Sherlock wrapped by a wreath appears later. The set does a good job of contextualizing Sherlock’s character by displaying esoteric items around the space to show his interests. Scenes in the mill basement have claustrophobic wooden beams surrounding the stage and a sinister chair which all work together to create a grim atmosphere. The costume design is also spot on, with Sherlock’s archetypal detective garbs and Liza’s beautiful blue dress as standouts through the numerous costume changes. The small leather tobacco bag and iconic pipe add to the authenticity. Altogether, this creates a wonderful reimagining of a play written over 30 years ago.

Although at times the play pokes fun at its own ridiculousness, such as in a scene involving a trained pigeon, it often feels weighed down by its reinforcement of traditional gender roles, outdated jabs, and references characteristic of its Victorian period during which it is set. Some of the most disconcerting lines are centered on the brutal rape of a girl by a rebuffed suitor. Other scenes involve unnecessary antiquated insults that are masqueraded as banter between the two main characters, all of which are ultimately both problematic and unnecessary. Nevertheless, it's a compelling interpretation of Sherlock Holmes at the height of his fame and the society he represented.

Even with its missteps, “Sherlock’s Last Case” is a brilliant performance by the entire cast that revives the beloved partnership for another thrilling adventure. Overall, the set and costume designs particularly bring to life the myth of Sherlock. Sherlock’s precise wit and sarcasm once again cannot be outsmarted, in this truly gripping production.