Knowles Appoints New Education Deans

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles announced the appointment of two influential deans to the Faculty Council on Wednesday.

The new dean of undergraduate education, who oversees the undergraduate academic program including the Core, Expository Writing and concentration requirements, will be Professor of History Susan G. Pedersen '82. She will replace current dean William M. Todd on July 1.

Serving in the same capacity for the graduate school will be Peter T. Ellison, current associate dean of the faculty and professor of anthropology since 1991. Ellison replaces Christoph J. Wolff.

The two deans have no grand plans for their posts, but hope to continue expanding financial aid and scrutinizing curricular requirements.

Less than 20 years after she left the gates of Harvard as an undergraduate, Pedersen will now oversee the curriculum of today's students.

Her new position will be her first administrative appointment.

"I am very new to this. It will take a while to grow into the position," she said. "Harvard is very collaborative. Everyone works together and most decisions are made within the department and in conjunction with the educational policy committee."

To help Knowles achieve one of his current missions, Pedersen will also work with him to ensure that new Faculty members are used effectively for undergraduates, according to Jeffrey Wolcowitz, who has worked under Todd as the associate for undergraduate education.