Provost's Decision Dissolves HIID

Three years after a scandal in Russia made it infamous and nearly three weeks after a faculty task force recommended its demise, Provost Harvey V. Fineberg '67 announced Friday that the Harvard Institute for International Development will be dissolved.

The institute, which for 25 years has advised foreign governments on everything from economics to education, will have some of its programs absorbed by Harvard graduate schools.

Others likely will be disbanded permanently. Officials have not specified a timetable for the transition.

Fineberg's decision--announced in letters to HIID staff--is not unexpected. The faculty task force evaluated HIID for six months before issuing its Jan. 4 recommendation to dissolve the institute.

However, the provost's announcement is symbolic of Harvard's close analysis of its own approach to globalization. Just when Harvard appeared to be looking outward, this decision seems to be motivated by a re-focusing on education.

"The main purpose is to integrate these valuable international development activities more closely with teaching and research at Harvard," Fineberg wrote.

The provost said for the remainder of this academic year, all current HIID projects will continue to operate under their existing management structure.

Fineberg added that transitional discussions with graduate school officials and with the leadership and staff of HIID will begin immediately.