City Council Fails to Elect Mayor

Colorful red, white and blue inaugural banners still adorn the walls of City Hall, but for now Cambridge remains without a mayor, as the City Council again failed to elect a top leader at Monday night's council meeting.

Monday's second round of voting was identical to the first taken at the Jan. 3 inauguration. Cambridge Civic Alliance (CCA) member Kathleen L. Born leads with four votes (hers and those of Henrietta Davis, Jim Braude and Marjorie C. Decker). Independent Michael A. Sullivan is second with three votes (his and those of Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and David P. Maher), while Independent Anthony D. Galluccio has his own vote and Timothy J. Toomey Jr's.

There were a few twists to the vote, however. At the beginning of the meeting, Born, Braude and Davis voted not to take another round of voting, and once the vote had been taken Galluccio, Maher and Toomey voted to continue with a third ballot for mayor.

The council will vote again at its Jan. 24 meeting, and will continue re-voting until at least five members support one mayor. Until that point, senior council member Reeves will serve as acting mayor of the city.

Without a mayor--who chairs both the City Council and the School Committee--council committees cannot be formed. Instead, the council will meet to address matters ordinarily taken up by its committees.

Local political analyst Glenn S. Koocher '71, host of the political television show "Cambridge Inside Out," said he had heard speculation that Decker might change her vote from Born to another candidate after a certain number of ballots.

"Marjorie Decker had genuine angst and confusion on her face," Koocher said of her reaction when the roll call to close the mayoral voting was announced.

Decker could not be reached for comment Monday night, and has not yet commented on her role in the mayoral voting.