Hasty Pudding Graduate Board Bans Alcohol From Club

The Hasty Pudding Club got its name from a stipulation in its 1795 constitution that two members should bring a pot of hasty pudding to each meeting.

And in a mid-19th-century update of the club's bylaws, the Pudding decided that there would be no alcohol at any club meetings.

In recent decades, the approximately 200 members have consumed more of the latter than the former, but the situation is now changing.

At the beginning of the academic year, the graduate board of the Hasty Pudding Institute of 1770 (the umbrella organization for every group that uses the Holyoke Street building) decreed that the first floor of the building, including the member's lounge, must remain "dry," meaning no alcohol at any events.

For now, the change has mainly affected the social club, which has refocused activity from its members' nights every Thursday and Sunday to club lunches held three times a week.

"We won't be able to go there to drink, but it's nice to have a place to have lunch," member Joanna G. Hootnick '02 said.

Members said they have been told that off-site parties in Boston will fill the hole left by this change.

The other organizations housed at 12 Holyoke St. also have to face the consequences of their graduate board's decision.