{shortcode-185bfe6f7fa30d58b5faecd5dd17abcf64773086}

As I enter my final year of college, one piece of advice I shall offer you is that you should talk to your professors. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found out some hidden lore about my professors or read up on their extensive biography that reminds me that they’re not just people that make me suffer through my psets. And guess what? Office hours are the perfect excuse to get to know the people you will be dozing off to for the rest of the semester. But office hours are intimidating! Office hours are boring! Don’t worry, I got you covered on how you can be prepared.

1. Initiate deep conversation

Every single student in office hours asks the same questions and initiates the same conversation. Harvard intro, research background, oh I love this topic, can you tell me more about this specific thing you mentioned in class? Make a real impression by digging deep, not into the course material but into their psyche. What are their greatest fears and desires? How do they define love? Did they truly choose this career path or does the concept of choice not exist?

2. Take notes on everything they say

Like the name of their fourth cousin, once removed, who recently had their appendix removed. You never know when that information will be valuable. How flattering would it be if a student remembers that specific information and asks you how that family member is when you run into them later? Creepy and caring are a fine line. But of course, also take notes on things they say relevant to their class so you can actually pass.

3. Have a game plan

Office hours can be a great time to get to know other students and the professor. But it is a war zone. There is limited time and no one likes having their time wasted. Come in with a game plan, timestamps included, and bulldoze your way to a potential recommendation letter.

4. Take a buddy with you

You are never, ever alone. There are no stupid questions until there are. Take a friend with you to office hours to ease the tension, and so they can kick you under the table when you start asking irrelevant questions that will make everyone hate you. But also, two brains are better than one, right?

Good luck out there. Attend office hours. Pass that class.