{shortcode-69680f82c371a20853ad38107151b41313b41fd7}

As the fall semester approaches, Harvard Yard is ready to welcome about 1,600 new faces to campus: freshmen (aka frosh). The once-titled “pre-frosh” will transition to frosh and truly begin to understand what Dean Khurana means by a transformative experience. The “transformative experience” looks a little different for every student at Harvard, but there are some commonalities or, shall I say, opportunities that frosh won’t want to miss.

Feeling jittery about navigating Harvard’s campus and community? Don’t worry—there’s no right or wrong approach. Although there are ways to enhance your Harvard experience, and if you’re unaware how, don’t panic—Flyby has got your back, so keep on reading.

Sweet Ol’ Annenberg

You know that saying, “Maybe the real treasure was the friends we made along the way?” I’d like to think that’s how Berg was. While HUDS cuisine isn’t always favored by the student body (especially on grape pizza day), we loved to spend hours there, meeting new people and making friends. That being said, use your time wisely and take advantage of the fact that everyone is trying to meet new people during the first few months. Feel free to join random tables and dive into frosh conversations—it’s not awkward at all.

Explore Student Organizations

Lucky for you, our school has over 400 student organizations, meaning there is a place for everyone here. No matter what you're looking for, chances are there is a developed group with similar objectives. If not, why not start your own? Joining clubs and attending info sessions will allow you to continue your passions, discover new ones, or make you realize something may not be for you—and that’s okay. :)

Build Connections

Outside of building bonds with peers, it’s important to interact with faculty outside of classroom hours. Spending time with faculty during office hours or coffee/tea chats can help them understand you as not only a student but as an individual. As you go into your freshman fall and spring semester, make an effort to reach out to all your professors, as they are fundamental to your academic journey and success. Trust me, faculty want to learn more about you and your way of thinking.

Traditions (At Your Discretion)

Some of the best memories of my freshman year involve Harvard traditions. From participating in the First-Year Outdoor Program in New Hampshire to attending the Harvard-Yale game or singing with friends at Yardfest, these traditions highlight the strong sense of community at Harvard. Always be sure to take time to enjoy where you are, and if you’re up for it, take part in traditions like River Run, Primal Scream, or leaving your mark on the John Harvard statue (if ykyk).

As you kick off your transformative experience, remember that this is your time to explore, connect, and, yes, occasionally survive grape pizza day. Everything will feel new at first, and adjusting takes time, but all frosh go through it. Welcome to Harvard!