Autumn in Cambridge

{shortcode-2bfbf22962c9246f48ce2118c33247748ce4cdb6}

As the first auburn leaves fall onto the grass of Harvard Yard, the horror of a Boston February feels like a far-off fiction. The promise of a dorm room that isn’t 100 degrees fills you with delusions of grandeur: all of the books you will undoubtedly enjoy with all of your free time, all of the fall movies you can’t wait to watch, all of the course readings you will surely complete to the best of your ability this semester. You’ve changed over the summer, you’re a better student now.

On the first day of autumn in Cambridge, I found myself indoors, curled up on a leather couch with my readings as the first rainy day of the season tip-tapped on my windows. The scent of a pumpkin spice candle filled my apartment, and I felt as though I were living in an episode of “Gilmore Girls” — the quintessential image of a New England fall. I found myself wondering why every day couldn’t be like this. Drowning in incomplete problem sets, most days, I wasn’t able to look up at the Yard’s beautiful brick buildings and appreciate how well the ever-changing fall foliage complemented them. By the time I finished my reading, I came to the conclusion that there is very little stopping me from doing so. An autumn in Cambridge is ripe for romanticizing.

So what was I reading? “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley. I know I’m not reinventing the wheel by recommending a Gothic novel for October, let alone “Frankenstein” — but truly, have you ever read this magnum opus? It’s a classic for a reason, complete with a haunting setting, a plot entrenched in high academia, and a man battling a god complex and a manic ego trip. Dare I say, “Frankenstein” is the perfect read for a fall semester at Harvard. Notable runner-ups for books that embrace the genius loci of Cambridge in autumn include “Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger, “American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis, and “The Idiot” by Elif Batuman. If you have the spare time to celebrate the season by reading all of these, I am truly envious.

When it comes to music, there are, of course, fall staples — you can’t go wrong with putting on some Chet Baker while walking home from class on a dim October evening. But lately, Clairo’s record “Charm” has forged a permanent spot on my playlist. I mean, name a better song for a season bursting with situationships than “Sexy to Someone.” The whole album is sure to enhance your autumn experience from start to finish. “Spooky” by Dusty Springfield is an underrated classic, and, if I listen to it closely enough, it brings back the memory of the crush I had during freshman fall — nostalgia is the beating heart of those precarious three months. The Smiths are hard to top in terms of back to school angst, and “Bigmouth Strikes Again” has had me in a chokehold this week. The most recent Wallows album “Model” is also worth a listen on a chilly fall day — “Bad Dream” is my personal favorite.

I need not bore you with another stale list of must-see Halloween movies. There aren’t enough days in October to traverse the cult classic canon of spooky films (although “Practical Magic” is a must see if you are interested in maximizing an autumnal New England). Rather than following the crowd and venturing on a horror spree, I propose the concept of the November Movie. November Movies are cozy, classic, and candid. Wes Anderson’s “Fantastic Mr. Fox” is an obvious genre-defining pick, but I also offer “Juno” for your consideration — both the movie and the Sabrina Carpenter song are worthy of your consumption.

If you are seeking a more analytical view of autumn time and are hoping to contemplate the nostalgia of autumn’s past, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston currently has Dalí’s “Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory” on display — included with general admission — in addition to many of the renowned Spanish surrealist’s other works. Other fun date ideas and autumnal weekend activities include a walk through Mount Auburn Cemetery, Boston Common, or the Harvard Arboretum at peak fall foliage. The Wellesley campus is also beautiful at this time of year, and readers should take full advantage of visiting any friends they may have living there.

There is much gastronomy to delight in within and around Harvard this time of year. A trip to Pemberton Farms Marketplace is sure to lift the spirits of any foodie amidst the upcoming midterm season, and the soul of anyone with access to a kitchen would benefit from making some brown butter pumpkin ravioli (available for purchase at most major grocery stores, including Trader Joe’s.) The farmers’ market in the Science Square Plaza runs every Tuesday until Oct. 29, and I purchased a Source Bakery pastry there a couple of years ago that I still think about once a week. And if you are craving a late-night snack, red wine tastes best when paired with dark chocolate and an autumnal viewing of the “Twilight” movies with your friends.

We have officially entered autumn in Cambridge — the ideal time to read in your favorite tree nook, open the windows a smidge at night and fall asleep to the sound of rain pattering on the ground, invest in a pumpkin spice-scented air freshener plug-in, and slow down amidst your studies to appreciate the increasingly cooler air. The fall season in Cambridge has the potential to be just as transformative for its inhabitants as it is for its trees.

Kate E. Ravenscroft is a Harvard Junior, double concentrating in English and Economics and a Staff Writer for the Crimson Arts Board. She is the creator of the “Genius Loci” column, where she writes about embracing the spirit of places both near and far through art. She can be reached at kate.ravenscroft@thecrimson.com.