Your Guide to Halloween at Harvard

Flyby Blog

When pumpkin spice lattes make their return to Starbucks and jack-o’-lanterns appear in the window displays of your favorite stores, we all know that Halloween is fast approaching. Since people of all ages love Halloween, here are some fun ways to celebrate the holiday:

Movies

“Hocus Pocus”
Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Bette Midler, and Kathy Najimy, “Hocus Pocus” is a classic children’s Halloween movie that may leave adults legitimately horrified. After 300 years, three sister witches come back to life in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween, and it is up to two teenagers, a young girl, and an immortal cat to save Salem from the witches. It’s the perfect movie to watch if you’re looking for festive nostalgia.

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show”
A musical/horror/sci-fi/comedy, “Rocky Horror” is about a newly engaged couple whose car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, and must pay a visit to Dr. Frank N. Furter’s eerie residence. It’s a cult classic and even made its way into a “Glee” Halloween special episode in 2010.

Music

“Thriller” by Michael Jackson
Almost instantaneously recognizable by its electronic beats and occasional howls, “Thriller” is the go-to Halloween song. Along with its ridiculously catchy hooks and Jackson’s amazing vocals, the lyrics make the song apt for the spooky season: “‘Cause this is a thriller, thriller night / And no one’s gonna save you from the beast about to strike.”

“Jeepers Creepers”
A jazz standard from the 1930s, this song was actually written for the film “Going Places” about an unruly horse, but thanks to the 2001 horror film “Jeepers Creepers,” the song is now perceived as menacing. Against the harmonically pleasing saxophone melody, the singer eerily croons: “Jeepers Creepers, where’d ya get those peepers? / Jeepers Creepers, where’d ya get those eyes?” Spooky? Yes, indeed.