Despite Disciplinary Threats, Pro-Palestine Protesters Return to Widener During Rally

{shortcode-ce2c9df7699c86256463a0bd1e6715aa94d1385f}

Roughly 60 student protesters gathered outside the Science Center Plaza before walking through Harvard Yard and gathering in front of Widener Library during a rally on Wednesday protesting Israel’s recent attacks in Lebanon.

The rally was aimed at protesting Harvard’s “material and moral complicity” in Israel’s attacks on Lebanon, according to an online flier for the event. It also came just days after University administrators threatened to take disciplinary action against students following a pro-Palestine “study-in” at Widener on Saturday.

The rally was one of many protests organized by Harvard Out of Occupied Palestine, a coalition of unrecognized pro-Palestine student groups.

In addition to the student protesters, roughly eight counterprotesters were in attendance, presenting portraits of Israeli people with the caption, “murdered by Hamas.” They also held up the Israeli flag and chanted “free our hostages” throughout the rally.

The rally featured student speakers and other organizers who led attendees in chants including a call for an “intifada,” “hands off Lebanon,” and a reading of news excerpts regarding the Israeli attacks against Hezbollah in Lebanon last week.

Mia Montrose ’26, an organizer with the African and African American Resistance Organization, delivered remarks to the protesters, demanding Harvard “disclose” and “divest” — a reference to the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement aimed at severing Harvard’s ties with Israel.

Speakers then discussed the controversial execution of Marcellus Williams in Missouri on Tuesday, comparing his struggle to that of Palestine.

“We must remember that the same system that lynched Marcellus Williams is committing the genocide of the Palestinian people,” said Prince A. Williams ’25, a speaker at the event and a Crimson Editorial editor.

“It’s settler colonialism. It’s white supremacy,” he added.

{shortcode-4868fcb2e035497ba9099265d09e778c2486e0c7}

Violet T.M. Barron ’26, another speaker at the event and a Crimson Editorial editor, dismissed the administration’s threats from the Widener study-in.

“We know the administrative playbook all too well by now,” she said. “Do not let the administration have their way, do not let this suppression have the exact effect that Zionists want it to have.”

“We have already forced their hand this far – now is not the time to give up,” she added. “Do not let a year of genocide make you complacent.”

The rally ended with a walk to Widener, where protesters continued to chant and assembled on the library steps.

In addition to protesters, around a dozen personnel from the Harvard University Police Department and Securitas were present as the protesters moved from the Science Center Plaza through the Yard.

“We will continue to organize, to fight, because the steadfastness of the Palestinian people, the steadfastness of the Lebanese people, are unlocking the consciousness of the world,” Williams said.

—Staff writer Hiral M. Chavre can be reached at hiral.chavre@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Samuel A. Church can be reached at samuel.church@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @samuelachurch.