‘Eerie Feeling’: Cambridge Residents Mixed On Central Square Surveillance Program

{shortcode-1c0d6ff96bd2e18668ea35dce6760caa5fde236f}

Cambridge residents are watching closely as the city moves ahead on plans to install more surveillance cameras in Central Square — and they have mixed reviews.

Over the summer, the Cambridge Police Department submitted a proposal to the City Council to increase surveillance cameras in highly trafficked areas, including Harvard and Central Square. But after the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts raised privacy concerns, councilors pushed back the proposal’s consideration to a September meeting — at which they approved a pared-down pilot program in Central.

Stuart Weinberg — a 40-year Cambridge resident who owns the Seven Stars bookstore — praised the initiative, saying he doesn’t find the cameras “intrusive.”

“Hopefully it controls the sketchy aspect of what goes on around here — so I see it as a protector, primarily,” Weinberg said.

CPD spokesperson Robert Goulston wrote in a statement that the camera initiative was proposed in response to complaints from residents about an increase in violence, theft, and drug use in Central Square.

“We want to use these cameras as another tool, specifically to solve crimes, and we will make it a point to keep track of how effective the cameras are,” CPD Commissioner Christine A. Elow wrote in a statement to The Crimson.

Other residents, however, are not convinced.

Charles Murrell, who has lived in Cambridge for one year, said the additional cameras were “a little disheartening,” saying he believes residents are “not really being informed of or given a lot of opinion about” about the implementation of the pilot program.

“I think that when people are in surveillance, whether they know it or not, it creates an eerie feeling,” he said.

Murrell added that police surveillance can be used in discriminatory ways — especially against people of color.

Lifelong Cambridge resident Tevin Brown echoed Murrell, saying that he “wouldn’t really care for [cameras]” in certain places in Central.

“I like my privacy — so I’m not really a fan of all the cameras,” Brown said. “There’s not too much happening around here for there to be cameras.”

Anthony Green, another lifelong Cambridge resident, said that while he is “not against” the cameras, he was disappointed by how previous surveillance initiatives impacted cultural landmarks in Cambridge, particularly the graffiti alley.

“My only thing with the cameras was the alley — graffiti alley — that was a place where everybody could let out some steam, paint, do their thing, and then they just put a row of cameras,” he said.

“It’s less organic,” Brown added.

Goulston wrote that CPD “recognizes the critical need for a careful and sensitive balance between an individual’s privacy and public safety in general.”

While the policy is currently being drafted by the city’s law department, Goulston wrote that the cameras will not record audio, have facial recognition, use artificial intelligence, or be monitored at all times.

Jake Rudolph, who works next to City Hall, said while he is hesitant to accept the cameras — as he worries how they will affect individual privacy — he has occasionally felt “unsafe” walking around the Square and understands the safety concerns.

“I’m here every day — I get begged by the same people every day,” he said. “I’ve also been around Central where people walk into the restaurant and had open bottles, and have been bothering customers.”

Still, Rudolph said that he believes that homelessness and crime are “separate issues,” and cameras won’t be able to solve Cambridge’s housing issue.

“If that’s any of the logic behind why more cameras are going up, then, that’s more about public housing and resources towards homelessness,” Rudolph said.

Despite the area’s struggles with safety and housing, Rudolph said Central still holds a special place in his heart.

“In general, I love Central Square — it’s my favorite square,” he added. “I don’t think it needs anything more than maybe a couple of renovations on some buildings here and there.”

—Staff writer Sally E. Edwards can be reached at sally.edwards@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @sallyedwards04 or on Threads @sally_edwards06.

—Staff writer Asher J. Montgomery can be reached at asher.montgomery@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @asherjmont or on Threads @asher_montgomery.