U.S. Men’s Eight Boat, Powered by 3 Harvard Alums, Earns Bronze in Paris

{shortcode-34320b8039743de1d4165e59b611bc63a326d2f9}

Harvard alumni Clark A. Dean ’23, Pieter G. Quinton ’20, and Christian B. Tabash ’22 secured a bronze medal for Team USA in the men’s eight boat race at the Paris Olympic Games on Saturday.

With their victory, Harvard athletes have now won seven medals at the 2024 Paris Games — tied with the 1904 and 1972 Olympics for the second-highest Summer Olympics medal count in school history.

The U.S. boat finished less than three seconds behind first-place Great Britain, and missed out on a silver medal to the Netherlands, which beat the U.S. boat just more than one second.

Josh A. C. Hick ’13 was also set to compete in the same race for Australia — which ultimately placed last in the race — but he was forced to withdraw the day of competition due to gastroenteritis.

The race marked a return to the Olympics for Dean and was the debut appearance for both Quinton and Tabash.

In an interview before the start of the Olympics, Dean spoke about the disappointing showing for Team USA at the 2020 Tokyo Games — where they failed to medal in any rowing event. Dean placed fifth in the men’s coxless four boat while the eight boat finished in a tantalizing fourth.

Dean said he knew that the U.S. was capable of a better result this year in Paris.

“Every boat we’re sending has a chance of getting a medal,” Dean said.

The U.S. eight boat dominated in the heats ahead of the final race — placing first in their heat over the Netherlands and posting a better time than Great Britain did in their heat.

While the U.S. got out to a quick start on Saturday, by the 500 meter mark they were in third place and seemed safely behind the two race leaders for much of the race.

In the last 500 meters, as Great Britain pulled away from the Netherlands, the U.S. made up ground and tried to challenge for the silver, but they ultimately were unable to overcome the Netherlands and finished just behind them.

A few minutes before the mens’ race, Olivia F. Coffey ’11 finished fifth in the Team USA women’s eight boat in a tight race where the U.S. threatened to move into third until the end. Coffey’s boat managed to qualify for the final after coming first in the Repechage on Thursday to make up for their second place finish in the heats.

Before the Games, Dean and Quinton both spoke highly of the experience they gained rowing at Harvard, specifically giving credit to the training he received from Harvard Men’s Heavyweight Rowing Coach Charley Butt.

“I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the development that I went through when I was at Harvard,” Quinton said.

Quinton also spoke about the pressure at the Olympics and the possibility presented by the medal he managed to clinch Saturday.

“Everyone knows what’s at stake,” he said. “And what’s to be gained if you can get it right come race day.”

—Staff writer Jo B. Lemann can be reached at jo.lemann@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @Jo_Lemann.