Zoe’s Diner, an Affordable Staple of Harvard Square, Permanently Closes

{shortcode-1b7fd2427fc8f3a8f96af3d96822db77e398de0e}

Zoe’s Diner, a longtime staple of Harvard Square dining beloved for its retro aesthetics, bottomless coffee, and all-day breakfast offerings, permanently closed last week.

Zoe’s, which first opened more than 20 years ago, was popular with both students and Cambridge residents alike for the price and variety of its food options. Its menu boasted a blend of American diner food, such as pancakes and milkshakes, with Greek food such as spanakopita, kebabs, and baked lamb.

Denise A. Jillson, executive director of the Harvard Square Business Association, speculated that a difficult labor market following the pandemic could have contributed to the closure.

“Many of our eateries have had trouble getting staff post-pandemic,” she said in an interview Wednesday. “Labor shifted, and it’s not an easy thing to do.”

Jillson added that increased breakfast options closer to the heart of Harvard Square may have squeezed out Zoe’s, which is located farther down Massachusetts Avenue than some competitors. Harvard Square has seen an influx of breakfast-serving coffee shops and restaurants in recent years, including Tatte, Bluestone Lane, and, most recently, Friendly Toast.

Zoe’s management did not respond to a request for comment about their closure.

Beyond its combination of cuisines, Zoe’s was known for its affordability.

Charles Cherney ’89, a real estate agent with an office across the street from the diner, praised the restaurant as a “place Harvard students can afford in Harvard Square.”

“As I sat there, either on my own or with someone for a business lunch, and I looked around and saw these Harvard students, I thought, ‘Oh, this is kind of nice,’” Cherney said. He added that he was sad to see Zoe’s go.

“They were very welcoming and very friendly and very kind-hearted,” he said. “It was refreshing.”

Jillson was similarly fond of Zoe’s atmosphere — and nostalgic decor.

“When you walked inside, you really felt like you were stepping back in time,” she said.

“It was fun,” she added. “It was a fun vibe.”

— Alma T. Barak contributed reporting.

—Staff writer Matan H. Josephy can be reached at matan.josephy@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @matanjosephy.