Amba Review: A Delightful Addition to Cambridge

Chef Will Gilson — 4 Stars

{shortcode-2f1b3c9b4ebf29d7fffcfc72af17574d99a6bb0c}

Food offers a comfort that lets us escape from the daily grind — a moment to take in something delicious and focus on the here and now. A new addition to the streets of East Cambridge, Amba might just be the next great place to slow down and try a delicious meal. The restaurant, which offers Mediterranean-inspired breakfast and lunch meals, has both a refreshing environment and menu.

Part of Amba’s charm is its clean, calm layout. The inside of the café contrasts with the simple brick exterior. It is lush and warm with dusty pink booths, faux plants drooping down from the walls and the ceiling, and a multitude of sturdy wood tables. Windows stretch across the store, letting in plenty of natural light. The restaurant is impeccably clean, boasts an attentive staff, and features an open kitchen, making the cooking process appear fun and inviting. Immediately upon entering the space, you feel invited to nestle into a corner and enjoy Amba’s welcoming atmosphere.

Amba’s biggest strength is its wide selection of pitas. They offer their classic pitas — which are sizeable and perfectly pillowy — filled with everything from falafel to hamburger patties to chicken salad. Notable among these is the breakfast pita, which combines fried sesame eggs, gooey cheese, a crispy hash brown patty, and a herby sauce in one fulfilling sandwich. Listed at eight dollars, this pita is an extremely fulfilling and fair-priced breakfast, and, most importantly, it avoids the greasy quality that some egg sandwiches tend toward. The dish’s varied textures keep every bite interesting — the lacey edges of the eggs and fried hash browns are crunchy one moment, while the generous garlic sauce, dill, and runny center yolk are satisfyingly soft in the next. The dish is delightful, meshing together the heartiness of a classic American breakfast with the freshness of Mediterranean flavors.

Beyond these savory selections, Amba’s menu also features a selection of daily pastries — from sesame cookies to flatbreads — made by pastry chef Brian Mercury. The breakfast pita pairs exceedingly well with the tahini-pistachio blondie, which seems to be a bakery staple. The blondie has a rich caramel flavor and a subtle crunch with the pistachio slivers. Cutting through its sweetness is a zesty citrus tang, giving the blondie more depth than a typical, overly sweet dessert. The powdered sugar that tops the dense sweet makes it a tad dry, but it is, overall, an excellent treat. The pastries aren’t mind-blowingly original, but they are done well.

The restaurant’s beverage selection is slightly more limited than its range of pitas, appetizers, and chicken dishes. Still, there are some interesting options on the menu, like the halva shake Irish coffee and the cool mint Arnold Palmer. They also have a simple espresso menu, with the standout offering being the golden milk latte. The drink, which can be ordered hot or on ice, combines espresso and milk infused with turmeric, ginger, and citrus. It sports a bright, golden hue and a bold, almost floral flavor. It is not for those who prefer a more subdued coffee. Additionally, the mixture used to make the milk “golden” has noticeable spices floating in it, so those who like a completely smooth drink may want to approach the latte with caution. Still, the café makes an attempt to spice up — literally — an otherwise classic coffee menu.

Amba is not necessarily revolutionary, but it makes smart choices and delivers on quality. The menu is both fulfilling and exciting, with a range of flavorful options. On top of the food, the space is perfect for a quiet respite from the busy world of Cambridge. The next time you want to treat yourself, consider checking out Amba for your comfort meal.

—Staff writer Hannah E. Gadway can be reached at hannah.gadway@thecrimson.com.