Mediterranean Bakery Sofra To Open New Allston Location

{shortcode-0cd4c684ae83a772511769ddd403cde027997190}

Sofra Bakery, a Cambridge staple known for its Middle Eastern and Turkish-inspired cuisine, is set to open a new location in Allston this October, just steps away from Harvard Business School and the Science and Engineering Complex.

This marks Sofra’s first expansion beyond its original location, where it has operated for over a decade. Ana Sortun, the executive chef and owner of Sofra Bakery, said the Allston location will carry Sofra’s same items on their menu and serve as a larger version of the Cambridge location.

“We’ve outgrown the space for quite a while,” Sortun said, explaining how the new Allston bakery will house Sofra's baking team, allowing for increased production while continuing to serve food in both locations.

According to Sortun, who also owns the Cambridge restaurant Oleana, Allston’s up-and-coming nature was a key factor in choosing the new location.

“We like going into neighborhoods that are growing and becoming sort of part of the community there,” Sortun said.

Expansion beyond Allston isn’t currently in the plans, Sortun said, as they are focused on ensuring this new location becomes a neighborhood fixture.

Lauren N. Smith, who was visiting from Birmingham, Ala., said she and her mother are excited about the upcoming opening of Sofra Bakery.

“The menu looks amazing, and we’re definitely gonna have to try it out,” said Smith.

“I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but now that I’m hearing there’s a new location opening, I think I definitely have to try Sofra bakery now,” said Jihan B. Abdi ’27.

Virgil J. Guo ’28, who had not visited Sofra before but had looked at the menu, said he was a little taken aback by the price — but acknowledged that it was probably standard for the area.

“I’m from Kansas, so everything’s cheaper,” Guo said. “But, I think for Boston people, I think it’s normal price.”

As Sofra prepares to welcome its new customers, Sortun is eager for residents to visit.

“I hope they’ll come visit and say hi and fall in love with everything that we’re making from scratch,” Sortun said.

As for an official grand opening date, Sortun said it was out of her hands.

“We’re at the mercy of the Boston Fire Department,” she said.

—Staff writer Mandy Zhang can be reached at mandy.zhang@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @mandyzhang08.