Cambridge to Purchase $3 Million Plot in Lexington, Ending Dispute With Developer

{shortcode-0777bf30abde42d3d4c69f26e922c26dc5ac4b29}

The Cambridge City Council unanimously authorized the $3 million purchase of a 31-acre plot of land near the city’s water supply reservoir in Lexington that was originally permitted for a solar panel farm.

The acquisition ends more than one year of litigation with development firm Tracer Lane, which had planned to construct the solar farm on the lot. The city appealed Lexington’s decision to approve the development in Middlesex Superior Court, arguing that the project could negatively impact Cambridge’s water supply.

The plot — identified as 0 Cambridge Street/Concord Turnpike — is adjacent to the Hobbs Brook Reservoir, which supplies much of Cambridge’s drinking water.

In a letter to the Council, City Manager Yi-An Huang ’05 wrote that the solar project would involve cutting more than 1,000 trees, increasing erosion and enabling the discharge of stormwater into the protective area around the Hobbs Brook Reservoir. It “would result in the permanent loss of water quality in the City’s water supply,” Huang wrote.

Huang — who obtained approval from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to “purchase the parcel for water supply protection purposes” — recommended that the Council purchase the lane from Tracer Lane to resolve the conflict.

While the Council had previously approved $1 million for the acquisition, they officially approved the remaining $2 million balance during its Monday night meeting.

At the meeting, Cambridge Deputy Chief Operating Officer Rebecca Fuentes called the initiative a “unique opportunity.”

If the development is not halted, Fuentes said, it “would impose a serious danger” to the city.

Tracer Lane could not be reached for comment for this article.

By purchasing the plot, the city is empowered to “increase its ability to manage and protect our water supply,” Cambridge spokesperson Jeremy Warnick wrote in a statement to The Crimson.

“Potential development of the parcel could be detrimental to the quality of Cambridge’s water supply,” he added.

—Staff writer Avani B. Rai can be reached at avani.rai@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @avaniiiirai.

—Staff writer Laurel M. Shugart can be reached at laurel.shugart@thecrimson.com. Follow them on X @laurelmshugart or on Threads @laurel.shugart.