Reopening of Cambridge Queen’s Head Pub Draws Crowds

{shortcode-98c562e02c1e714032118f2443cb7a5f31cd01cf}

The Cambridge Queen’s Head Pub reopened this month after its doors were shut for more than two-and-a-half years due to the pandemic, hosting 50-cent wing Wednesdays, trivia, and karaoke nights.

Queen’s Head Pub opened in 2007 as an on-campus social space for students. Located in the Loker Commons under Annenberg Hall, Harvard’s freshman dining hall, the pub was named after the Queen’s Head tavern in England, left to the University by John Harvard, which burned down in 1876.

Zach L. Tripsas, manager of the Queen’s Head Pub, said the reopening process was lengthy but worthwhile.

“We’ve had to go through a lot of processes to open it up such as making sure it's deep cleaned, hiring a full new staff, setting up a calendar of events and things that we can host in the space,” Tripsas said. “It's a bit of an undertaking, but well worth it.”

Since opening, the pub has seen around 100 people each night, reaching its capacity of 200 occupants a few times, according to Tripsas.

David Verbat, a fourth-year Chemistry graduate student from the Netherlands, said it was a “bummer” when the pub closed for Covid-19.

“It’s just an easy place to get out after work with your colleagues,” he said. “It was a bummer when they closed for COVID, and then they just never reopened for two whole years, which was quite a long time.”

As the general manager, Tripsas said his role is to guide student staff members in the process of creating menus, hosting events, and other aspects of the business.

“This really is a space for and by students. That was the case from its inception, and that's going to be the case moving forward,” he said. “I really want to encourage the student community in the space and encourage their own creativity in that regard as well.”

Harvard Extension School student Delilah Brown said working as a graduate manager at Queen Head’s Pub is an “amazing” experience, adding that the staff is like a “little family.”

“We're just having fun and vibing and getting the job done,” Brown said.

“I noticed a lot of older grad students are coming in more, and I would like to see the undergrad students come in a little bit more and have fun,” she added.

Sarah O’Connor, a Cambridge resident who has been going to Queen’s Head for several years, said the location is a “good Friday night social spot.”

“I'm waiting for the 1636 beer to come back,” she said, referring to a Harpoon Brewery ale the pub previously sold. “It's like a dark ale, but it's quite tasty.”

Harvard Graduate School of Design student Ethan J. Chan said the pub is “hidden but nice.”

“I didn't know about it for my first year and a half here,” he said “It's kind of surprising, but I'm glad it's here.”

—Staff writer Audrey M. Apollon can be reached at audrey.apollon@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Dekyi T. Tsotsong can be reached at dekyi.tsotsong@thecrimson.com.