Arts Playlist: Songs to Make You Feel Like the Main Character

{shortcode-8eb52e24dcefe5d6997b85f084aa120e0d7c612d}

{shortcode-c4061215e0615ea32696c85e685447452264d6c7}

With all the uncertainty in the world right now, hopelessness and apathy are inevitably seeping into everyday life. In response, an endless feed on TikTok has emerged that encourages us to reclaim the narrative and become the “main character” in the movie of our own lives. The songs on this playlist will help reframe any ordinary day into a scene fit for a protagonist in everything from an indie coming-of-age film to a blockbuster romantic drama.

1. “Electric Love” by Børns

Hop into a car and drive down a coastline; this song perfectly captures the feeling of infinite youth and an open heart. While the lyrics focus on the unparalleled shock of young love, “Electric Love” transcends its original message with the uplifting melody of an anthem fit for summer nights and long drives.

2. “I Hope You’re Happy” by Blue October

Is this a breakup song? Absolutely not. Blue October brings to this playlist a song of true empowerment and release, one that acknowledges the hardships of becoming an adult through heartbreak and struggle. Jeremy Furstenfeld, the hard-rocking drummer, shines through in this track, capturing the feeling of perseverance in growing up with his strong beat.

3. “Let Your Heart Hold Fast” by Fort Atlantic

Originally popularized by “How I Met Your Mother,” this song is the perfect cinematic soundtrack. Regardless of the hardship you may be enduring, be it a cancelled semester or a long-distance heartbreak, Fort Atlantic reminds listeners to “let your heart hold fast, for this soon shall pass,” words that resonate beyond generations.

4. “Someone To You” by BANNERS

In a period of unprecedented isolation, BANNER’s lyric “I just want to be somebody to someone” captures the strange feeling of aching to exchange love and life with no one in particular. BANNERS himself discussed the song’s longing in a Genius interview: “We’re all looking for a way to leave our mark really aren’t we?”

5. “Green Light” by Lorde

By her own admission, Lorde did not expect to produce this heartbreak song. However, the final product feels uniquely hers, imbued with the artist’s signature haunting lyrics and stunning vocals. The song pulses with a heartbeat, one that signifies action and anger rather than typical tragedy.

6. “Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens

Featured on the Netflix original “The Politician,” this song, and the album “Illinois" as a whole, feels deeply personal, drawing on singer Sufjan Stevens’ own experiences. More mellow than many of the rock songs on this playlist, “Chicago” travels through memories of mistakes and regrowth, self-doubt and discovery, perfect for a coming-of-age movie.

7. “Alaska” by Maggie Rogers

“Alaska” is yet another heartbreak song, but one that takes the focus completely away from the other person and the broken relationship, instead putting the spotlight on personal growth. The song chronicles Rogers’ journey through the wilderness of Alaska and awakens a desire of self-discovery and freedom for her listeners. Her lyrics say it all: “Cut my hair so I could rock back and forth / Without thinking of you.”

8. “A Letter to My Younger Self” (feat. Logic) by Quinn XCII

Who wouldn’t want the chance to fix the mistakes of their youth or to tell their younger selves to appreciate what they’ve now lost? Quinn XCII explains the desire to go back and comfort his younger self, who was wrapped up in meaningless stress and insecurity. In the chorus, he pleads, “I hope this helps.” Like many songs in this playlist, it encourages individuality, but deviates by focusing on retrospection rather than the present moment.

9. “Beige” by Yoke Lore

Although slower paced than other entries on this playlist, “Beige” is a love song with a synth-filled instrumental that feels like standing on the edge of a mountain. Heavy and breathtaking in its vocals, Yoke Lore’s song takes the spontaneity and emotional vulnerability of love and transforms it into a feeling of invincibility and readiness to take on the world.

10. “Crash My Car” by COIN

The title and chorus are perfect: “I love the way you're breaking my heart.” In an age of constant distraction and details, people seldom surrender to a singular, overwhelming feeling. But it’s easy on the big screen, and COIN’s song feels like the rare instance of succumbing to desire without fear of consequences.

11. “Traveling Song” by Ryn Weaver

A tribute to Ryn Weaver’s grandfather and his adventurous spirit, “Traveling Song” is stripped down and vulnerable. The song is exactly what the title suggests: a testament to the journey through childhood, through life, and through loss. Ending with an acapella speech, the song peels back the layers to a single life lived with joy. Much like the cathartic end to an epic cinematic journey, this examination of stories left behind is a fitting end to this playlist.

—Staff writer Hannah Chew can be reached at hannah.chew@thecrimson.com.