“Self Magazine,” the self-proclaimed titan of “health and beauty, fitness and nutrition, happiness and personal style, celebrity and sex” recently named Cambridge the country’s Healthiest City for Women.
FM played Mel Gibson to Self Magazine’s Helen Hunt to explore what criteria, if any, factored into the magazine’s calculation of What Women Want.
1. University President Drew G. Faust will tell you that walking is healthy. A 2008 study conducted by American Podiatric Medical Association and Prevention magazine will tell you that Cambridge is the best city for walking. See also: tiny parking spaces, stringent parking permit laws, ridiculous parking garage prices, being quadded, nice sidewalks.
2. In coldest Cambridge, we burn more calories, even without working out.
3. Mary Jane is decriminalized in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
4. Fro yo.
5.Would you like an Urban Outfitters to go with your 11 Starbucks stores? Skinny jeans, skinny lattes. It’s all in the adjective.
6. In 2008, Cambridge was ranked as the sixth Greenest City in America. Cambridge <3 recycling.
7. There are at least 10 hot yoga studios in Cambridge. Bikram, anyone?
8. Fro yo.
9. Smart girls or skinny bitches? According to a study by the University of Southern California, the fine ladies of Cambridge may be both.
10. Stephen M. Shelton ’12.