Harvard Wins Two Against State Rival

Meicheng Shi

Junior infielder Ellen McAdam, shown here in earlier action, had a field day against Holy Cross yesterday, spearheading the Crimson offense with a 5-for-7, 4-RBI performance in the doubleheader.

Although the Harvard softball team took a break from conference play yesterday, it certainly didn’t lose any momentum.

The Crimson (11-15, 3-1 Ivy) traveled to Worcester, Mass. for a doubleheader with in-state rival Holy Cross (6-18, 2-2 Patriot) and swept the Crusaders, 9-6 and 6-3, at Freshman Field.

Junior Ellen Macadam led the offense with a 5-for-7, 4-RBI performance, while sophomores Rachel Brown and Julia Moore took the wins on the mound.

“I thought we came out hard,” sophomore Whitney Shaw said. “We scored a lot of runs, we had a lot of hits. Our offense is kind of getting into a groove now, which was great, and it was backed up by solid pitching.”

HARVARD 6, HOLY CROSS 3

The Crimson plated a pair of runs in the first inning and never looked back, cruising to a 6-3 win in yesterday’s nightcap.

Macadam led the game off with a single to left field and promptly stole second.

The junior then scored the game’s first run on co-captain Melissa Schellberg’s RBI single to right.

“[Ellen had] been struggling a little bit before today, and she came out with fire in her eyes,” co-captain Margaux Black said. “She came out ready to smash the ball, and that’s exactly what she did.”

Schellberg, who is also a Crimson sports editor, then came around to score on a passed ball to give Harvard the early 2-0 lead.

Holy Cross got one back in the bottom of the inning on a Keeley Seniuk RBI double, but the Crimson rebounded in the top of the second.

Again, Macadam proved to be the catalyst for the Harvard offense, plating senior Jennifer Francis with a sacrifice fly. Junior Emily Henderson came around to score on the same play thanks to an error by Crusader pitcher Katie Alexander.

Moore sparkled for the next four innings, allowing just one hit and one walk after the first.

“Julia Moore had an awesome game,” Black said. “She pitched lights out—she was fantastic. She really shut them down.”

Francis led off the sixth with a homer to right, and Macadam came around to score later that inning. After the junior doubled to center field, senior Stephanie Krysiak brought her home with an infield single, pushing the advantage to 6-1.