Report Critiques HUPD’s Profiling

CORRECTION APPENDED

The Harvard College Safety Committee released a report Friday with recommendations for the Harvard University Police Department that emphasized the need for greater integration into the Harvard community. These recommendations were met with enthusiasm by students, faculty and HUPD officials. [SEE CORRECTION BELOW]

The committee was assembled by President Drew G. Faust in response to accusations of racial profiling in three separate incidents involving HUPD officers since 2004. In drafting the report, committee members recognized the need to address the allegedly racial nature of these incidents.

“We understood...that there were some incidences in which some students in the community felt that it appeared that they didn’t belong,” committee member and Harvard Law School professor David B. Wilkins said. “We took those very seriously. We met with student groups; we solicited comment widely from those groups.”

Leaders of campus cultural groups said they were optimistic about the perceived opportunity to build relations between HUPD and students.

Elliot Ikheloa ’11, president of the Black Men’s Forum, declined to comment on the sentiments of the organization. But he wrote in an e-mail that “it is comforting for myself and for others to see that Harvard is taking steps to make our campus a more welcoming environment.” Ikheloa is an inactive Harvard Crimson editor.

“[Racial profiling] is a big concern, just knowing that these kinds of things happen on the Harvard campus,” said Alan A. Ibrahim ’11, president of the Asian American Association. “[It is] comforting to know that things are being done to prevent future incidents.”

HUPD is similarly hopeful that carrying out some of the proposals will allow for better rapport between HUPD officers and the Harvard community.

“We look forward to working with the community and University leadership as we move towards the implementation phase,” HUPD Chief Francis “Bud” Riley wrote in a statement.

The recommendations include the creation of a University Safety Advisory Committee, the implementation of an “account management” structure, the expansion of the Diversity and Community Liaison Officer position, and the appointment of an ombudsman.

“We are going to start a thorough review of the report, and at this point we [have to] review the recommendations and come up with a prioritization,” said Steven G. Catalano, a HUPD spokesperson. “Some of the recommendations have already been implemented, and it’s just a matter of strengthening them.”

Presidents of the Black Students Association and Fuerza Latina could not be reached for comment.

—Staff writer Emily J. Hogan can be reached at ejhogan@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Marianna N. Tishchenko can be reached at mtishch@fas.harvard.edu.

CORRECTION

The April 28 news article "Report Critiques HUPD’s Profiling" incorrectly stated that the report on HUPD was released by the Harvard College Safety Committee. In fact, the report was released by a different committee, which was created last fall.