HUPD Investigates Two House Assaults

CORRECTIONS APPENDED

Two separate assaults occurred in Leverett House and Quincy House over the weekend according to the Harvard University Police Department police log.

The incident at Quincy House occurred near the House Grille at 3:20 a.m. on Saturday night and involved Quincy resident James H. Bailey ’09 and an unidentified Quincy sophomore.

According to the police log, Bailey had attempted to inquire about the sophomore’s well-being and subsequently pushed him and grabbed a pool cue. The sophomore reported that he then left the area to wait in line for food at the Grille but soon afterwards, Bailey approached him from behind, pushed him again and grabbed him by the throat. [SEE CORRECTIONS BELOW]

In a letter of apology sent over the Quincy House open e-mail list, Bailey admitted his involvement in the incident and expressed deep regret for his behavior.

“I was rude, confrontational, and threatening to one of my fellow Quincy residents, and it was completely out of line,” Bailey said in the e-mail. “My behavior was totally incompatible with being a positive member of the Quincy community, which is something that has been important to me this year.”

Bailey declined to comment further in an e-mailed statement to The Crimson yesterday, but added that he would be willing to listen to fellow students’ concerns regarding the incident.

HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano said that the case remains open and will continue to be investigated.

The second incident, which occurred in Leverett House’s A entryway at around 12:11 p.m. on Friday and involved an altercation between two individuals identified as Leverett dining hall staff.

The police log states that the incident began as a verbal confrontation between the two individuals that escalated to violence.

Paul J. Hegarty, the Leverett House building manager, said that one of the individuals involved reported the incident to him, after which he referred the individual to the police.

The incident is still being investigated by the HUPD.

—Staff writer Marianna N. Tishchenko can be reached at mtishch@fas.harvard.edu.

CORRECTIONS BELOW

The Feb. 24 news article "HUPD Investigates Two House Assaults" incorrectly attributed information that James H. Bailey ’09 had been involved in an altercation to the Harvard Police Log. In fact, Bailey was not named in the log. Instead his identity was discovered through his e-mail to a House open list.

The article also incorrectly stated that Bailey had attempted to inquire about the sophomore’s well-being and subsequently pushed him and grabbed a pool cue. In fact, it was the unidentified sophomore who inquired after Bailey, after which Bailey pushed the sophomore.