Law School Begins Faculty, Student Life Initiatives

'College' system, smaller classes for first-years central to reforms

In his famous book One L about Harvard Law School (HLS) Scott Turow writes about the school's reputation as being "large, harsh, and stifling"-his "enemy," as he called it. But this HLS of legend may soon change, thanks to a massive change in law school education requiring funds of nearly $400 million. This new "Strategic Plan," which outlines the reforms, is designed to make the Harvard Law School education more appealing, enjoyable, and enriching to its students.

The plan will cut first year class size by half to create "law colleges" for first years in an attempt to create a more hospitable environment. The plan will also increase financial aid for graduates in low-income fields and strengthen the school's international curriculum.

Pioneered by HLS Dean Robert C. Clark, the plan still must be approved by the Harvard Corporation, and is expected to pass in the next few weeks.

"[This plan] is the biggest change since 1871," says HLS visiting professor and Monan University professor at Boston College Law School Daniel R. Coquillette, referring to the institution of new teaching methods by former HLS Dean Christopher C. Langdell 130 years ago.

Law Colleges

The plan will slash first year class sizes by almost half; instead of being divided into 4 sections of 140 students, the approximately 550 first year students will now have 7 sections of 80. HLS must therefore raise money to hire 15 new faculty members at a cost of $75 million, five of whom will teach first year students.