No. 3 Notre Dame Drops M. Lacrosse, 16-4

The Harvard men’s lacrosse team dropped under the .500 mark for the first time this season with a 16-4 road loss to No. 3 Notre Dame on Saturday.

The Crimson (6-7, 1-4 Ivy) played well early in the contest but were unable to overcome a 30-minute scoring drought midway through the game during which the Irish (12-1) netted six unanswered goals.

The win was the seventh straight for the Irish, who ended the regular season with a 6-0 record at home. It was also the seventh time this season Notre Dame has held its opponent to under five goals.

The loss was the fourth straight for the Crimson. Three of those four losses have come against teams ranked in the top ten.

“We knew going in we’d have to play well,” said sophomore attackman Matt Primm. “We’ve played Princeton and UMass, which are both in the top five, so we’ve been in this type of situation before.”

Saturday’s contest began well for the Crimson, as it managed to keep the Irish off the scoreboard until the 11:08 mark in the first period.

Harvard then responded quickly, with goals from sophomore Jay Wich and freshman Jeff Gottschall. Primm had the assists on both goals.

“Both goals were extra man goals, so it was nice to finally capitalize on those situations because it’s something we’ve had trouble with this year,” Primm said.