Protesters, Police Strengthen Positions

'The Big One' Rally Draws 700 to Mass. Hall

Nearly 700 peaceful protesters armed with posters and noisemakers crowded outside Mass. Hall yesterday afternoon in the largest rally in the Yard in six years, while inside the occupied building members of the Progressive Student Leader Movement (PSLM) continued their second day of talks with administrators.

The rally featured speeches from local politicians, Harvard workers and faculty members, and attracted an unprecedented media presence with all three major networks descending on the Yard to film stories for last night's evening news.

Inside Mass. Hall, PSLM members met again with two University representatives, the Rev. Dorothy Austin, co-master of Lowell House, and J. Bryan Hehir, head of the divinity school.

Although the talks alone are a major breakthrough in the sit-in, now entering its ninth day, little progress was made yesterday. The administration held to its line that no negotiations would take place while Mass. Hall was occupied and PSLM members held firm to their decision to remain in the building indefinitely until granted a living wage of at least $10.25 an hour for all University employees.

University President Neil L. Rudenstine issued a statement, published as an ad in today's Crimson, reiterating his "willingness" to meet with students "once the sit-in has ended."

In addition, Rudenstine has invited Faculty members to a special meeting this afternoon to discuss the situation, University spokesperson Joe Wrinn said yesterday.

Meanwhile, the day's main event, a rally titled "The Big One," drew a huge chanting crowd from the steps of Mass. Hall to University Hall.

Under the watchful eye of almost twenty Harvard and Cambridge police officers, PSLM member Amy C. Offner '01-her voice hoarse from days of chanting-opened the nearly two-hour long rally by criticizing University President Neil L. Rudenstine for his unwillingness to negotiate.