Vigil Held To Support Rape Victims

Almost 300 people gathered on the steps of Memorial Church last night for the annual Take Back the Night rally, supporting the victims of rape and sexual assault.

Last night's rally, sponsored by the Coalition Against Sexual Violence and the Radcliffe Union of Students, was held to draw attention to a subject that they believe affects many more people than is generally acknowledged.

"[Tonight is] an opportunity for the Harvard community to come together and recognize the prevalence of the problem within our community," said Erica R. Michelstein `02, one of the organizers of the event and a Crimson editor.

The rally, which featured two vigils and a march, began with a poetry reading from the Boston-based cooperative Blackout about rape.

293 supporters then lit candles and gathered in a large circle in Tercentenary Theater to provide a safe environment for those willing to share their stories of sexual assault.

Many who spoke were brought to tears by what they had to say, expressing their gratitude for reaching a point in their lives where they had the strength to tell their stories without feeling ashamed.

"I have to be the weakest person in the world. And if I can tell my story, you can," said one student. "I would have nightmares and flashbacks, but in the past several months I have realized that there is nothing wrong with me. The only person to blame is the person who attacks you."

Some expressed the humiliation that has silenced them, and has prevented them from prosecuting their attackers. Others described their journeys from anguish and despair to strength and empowerment. Those who spoke ranged from middle-aged women to gay students, to students who had been molested as children, and friends of victims.