W. Volleyball Suffers Three Losses Over Weekend

In spite of the talent, size and depth that abounds on this season's roster, the Harvard women's volleyball team proved this weekend that it still has a few kinks to work out.

The Crimson (0-3, 0-0 Ivy) turned in a disappointing performance at its first competition of the season, the New England Challenge. Playing in a field comprised of five other schools, Harvard lost all three of its matches at the Malkin Athletic Center.

"We faced some tough competition, especially since we had just finished two-a-day practices and hadn't played a match yet," co-captain Sarah Mattson said. "Overall we did a lot of great things and the tournament was a good first step for us."

The lone bright spot of the Crimson's weekend was the selection of sophomore setter Mindy Jellin to the All-Tournament Team. Named Co-Ivy League Rookie of the Year last season, Jellin was consistently successful throughout the Crimson's three matches, with 58 assists and 16 digs against Lamar, 28 assists against Purdue and 51 assists against Southwest Missouri.

Lamar 3, Harvard 2

After battling through a gritty five-game nailbiter against the Lady Cardinals in its final match of the tournament Saturday afternoon, the Crimson was unable to come up with a victory, losing 15-9, 11-15, 15-9, 11-15, 13-15.

Junior outside hitter Erin Denniston led all attackers with 29 kills. Senior outside hitter Angela Lutich, who is one of only three seniors remaining on this young team, also chipped in 17 digs.