Lightning Cancels W. Soccer's Battle for Northeast Supremacy

Last night's scheduled battle for northeast supremacy between the No. 16 Harvard (2-1) women's soccer team and No. 7 Hartford (5-1) was expected to be a game of earth-shattering consequences that would rattle the heavens.

Unfortunately for both teams, the sky got too worked up in anticipation, as flashes of lightning forced the cancellation of the much-awaited duel between the Hawks and the Crimson.

As of yet, a make-up date has not been set.

Harvard will next be in action at undefeated Brown (5-0) at 7 p.m. on Saturday. As impressive as the Bears' record looks, they have yet to play an opponent of national consequence this season.

Harvard-who opened with a 3-0 loss to No. 10 Texas A&M-and Dartmouth-who fell to No. 3 Nebraska 2-0 earlier in the season - are the only Ivy schools who have played overtly ambitious non-conference schedules thus far.

The Big Green features Soccer Buzz pre-season All-American goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill, the player responsible for keeping sophomore Crimson keeper Cheryl Gunther off the All-Ivy team last year.

Although Gunther didn't get top billing last year, she beat Luckenbill last season in the only kind of comparison that really matters (final score: Harvard 2, Dartmouth 1).

If the Crimson stays healthy and conscious throughout the rest of the Ivy season, it shouldn't have much in-league competition outside of the Bears and the Big Green. The Elis recent 5-0 loss to Hartford proves that they are among the competitive elite.