Radcliffe Celebrates Capital Campaign

It was a weekend of firsts for the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.

On Saturday morning the board of management of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA) voted to change its name in light of Radcliffe's merger with Harvard last year.

Later Saturday afternoon, Radcliffe launched its first live webcast, as part of the Alumnae Council's program "Women and the Web: Navigating the Cyber Revolution."

And Saturday night Radcliffe supporters gathered at the Sheraton Commander Hotel to celebrate the completion of the Radcliffe Capital Campaign--"the most ambitious fundraising effort in Radcliffe's history," according to acting dean Mary Maples Dunn.

The mood was festive as 80 of Radcliffe's key donors, friends and staff--including Drew Gilpin Faust, incoming dean of the Institute, Linda S. Wilson, former president of Radcliffe College and University provost Harvey V. Fineberg '67--dined under streaming gold ribbon and pearlescent white balloons.

The campaign, which Wilson started in 1993 while Radcliffe College was still independent of Harvard, raised $100,981,189--just over the $100 million goal. Bursts of confetti covered the ballroom as Dunn announced the final figure.

"The consultants told us we couldn't raise 100 million," she said. "But we did it!"

Dunn said that the campaign had been enriched by five donations of $2 million or more and 13 gifts between $1 and $2 million.