Ladies Man Gets Surefire Laughs

Guess what? I can read people's minds.

Hey, stop laughing.

Come on, stop it already.

Okay, so maybe I can't read people's minds, in the most literal sense of the term. But believe me-I've had my moments of foresight. On more than one occasion (i.e. twice), I've been known to say something that someone else was about to say before they got a chance to say it themselves (a phenomenon known in many circles as a "damn-lucky guess").

Take this new movie, for instance. When you first heard that Saturday Night Live's mega-popular Ladies Man sketch-generally regarded as one of the few remaining SNL sketches that are actually funny-was being turned into a movie, I'll wager the inflated cost of a movie ticket that this exact thought, or some variation thereof, flashed across your brain:

How the hell do you stretch a five-minute skit into an hour-and-a-half long movie?

Well, for the fine folks at SNL Studios-the comedic minds that brought us such romps as Wayne's World, Tommy Boy, and Superstar-it's become a matter of habit. And they're at it again with The Ladies Man, the film that expands on the life and misadventures of Leon Phelps, the radio talk show host who shocks audiences with his raunchy (but honest) advice on matters of (physical) love.

Fan-favorite SNL regular Tim Meadows brings Leon Phelps to the big screen in all of his pimping glory, complete with afro, disco threads, and that ridiculous lisp. With a much longer time slot to play with, the filmmakers really got a chance to flesh out the details of Leon's womanizing world, from the love candles, Kama Sutra posters, and bottle of Courvoisier that grace his radio booth when he's on the air, to his bachelor pad-a boat house that he fittingly calls his "Skank-tuary." And of course, we get to hear all the best Leon-isms from the show-lines like "Ooh, it's a lady!" when the caller is a woman, and "You got to do it in the b--!" when he describes his favorite recreational activity.