Stranded Students Make Most of Holiday

Long after the last suitcase has been packed, Dong M. Kim '03 will remain roommate-less in his Matthews Hall suite.

The California native is one of many students with a lengthy commute who plans to stay at Harvard for the brief Thanksgiving break. With the options of host families and generous friends, however, his Thanksgiving dinner need not consist of the routine dining hall fare.

A traditional menu of turkey, cranberry sauce and squash will replace the usual Thursday dinner at Mather House, the only House whose dining hall will stay open for Thanksgiving.

While Kim says that he considers spending Thanksgiving dinner in a dining hall to be "rather depressing," approximately 550 people are expected to take their holiday meal at Mather House, according to Dining Services Project Manager Alexandra E. McNitt.

Meanwhile, international students and some students from the West Coast have the option to dine with 'host families.'

"Sometimes, students will call to ask if there is a private home where they can eat," said Director of the Parents' Association Julia G. Fox. "We encourage host families to invite students to have Thanksgiving with them, but often students will choose to eat with a roommate or friend."

Fox added that she thinks those who remain at school will enjoy themselves.

"We are hopeful that the ones who are staying here will be able to celebrate, and we sense that they will enjoy the peace and quiet of the dorms," she said.