X-Country Freshmen Shine at Meet of Champions

Following a bye week, both the Harvard men's and women's cross-country teams earned respectable finishes in the fifth annual Meet of Champions at Van Cortlandt Park in New York on Saturday.

The men finished eighth at 205, out of a highly competitive field of 14, including national powers like No. 25 Dartmouth, which ran away with the meet, scoring just 40. (In cross-country scoring, low score wins). Host Iona, which finished second, was 28 points back at 68.

In addition to usual leaders junior captain Ed Baker and senior Dave Martin, who both finished in the top 30, debuting freshman Nathan Shenk-Boright made an immediate impact on the college scene, finishing just 30 seconds off Martin's pace.

The women followed suit with a 10th place finish in their race of seventeen teams. First-place Brown outscored the Crimson 58-263.

Senior Bethany Helms led the Crimson women, finishing 19th in a race of over 150 runners.

Harvard men

Though outrun by some of the finest teams that both New England and the nation had to offer, the men were able to fend off in-state rivals Boston University and UMass, which finished ninth and 10th.

Despite the fact that the Crimson finished in the middle of the pack, a sign of good things to come was evident as the Crimson received a very strong performance from their inexperienced, yet very talented freshman contingent.